Any tips on installing the Harman Chimney Top Air Intake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Got the air adapter and chimney top air intake. I have installed the air adapter on a Harman Insert but never the top air Intake.
Has anyone done this? Any comments or tips?

It looks like it is adjustable to the size of the chimney top and comes with galvanized self tappers.

See pics and instructions below

Attachments

• HarmanChimneyTopIntake (0).JPG
    HarmanChimneyTopIntake (0).JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 397
  • HarmanChimneyTopIntake (1).JPG
    HarmanChimneyTopIntake (1).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 360
  • HarmanChimneyTopIntake (2).JPG
    HarmanChimneyTopIntake (2).JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 372
  • HarmanChimneyTopIntake (3).JPG
    HarmanChimneyTopIntake (3).JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 337
  • HarmanChimneyTopIntake (4).JPG
    HarmanChimneyTopIntake (4).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 373
  • HarmanChimneyTopIntake (5).JPG
    HarmanChimneyTopIntake (5).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 361
If you have it assembled to the length and width needed to go around your flue I would mark the "extra" length that is not needed with a sharpie even with the nail lip on each adjacent piece. Now take it apart and cut to length at your sharpie mark on all 4 pieces. You can do this with a tin snips. Put back together. Then go up on the roof. Attached the finished air intake "box" to the crown of the chimney. I ran a bead of silicone under it and attached each side with 2 tapcon screws. I also put silicone on the seams of the unit. Run the liner down the chimney. On top of the air intake SS box goes a flat SS piece with the liner hole in the middle. I put a bead of silicone where the 2 pieces meet and attached the flat piece with 2 screws each side. Mine was 18x18 and gave me a slight over hang of the Harman air intake. I think 13x13 is also a common size. Cut liner to length and add chimney cap.

Caution with the sharp edges of the liner. Should wear gloves I ended up with a few cuts along the way.