Any Tips on Replacing this Englander 25-PDVC Exhaust blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I seem to get alot of tougher stoves to fix these days.
This is the same stove that needed the FireBox Rust Relief.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...lief-and-smoothing-out-the-ruff-areas.110717/

I am replacing the exhaust blower and housing. The exhaust flange has holes in it! The bolts that hold the blower motor in needless to say, look a little rusty! See pic

So I got all the bolts out except one on the bottom side!

I tried the dremel but the cutting wheel was not big enough to cut the head off because the side of the dremel hit the side of the stove openning so there was not enough room to move the cutting wheel thru the bolt head! See second pic.

So I pulled out the Air Cutter and surprisingly, I was able to manuver the cutting wheel into the stove body and there was room to go across the bolt head. With 200 PSI it went thru the bolt like a knife thru butter!

So now my question is:

Should I drill the bolt out and put in a larger bolt? Should I just not use that bolt and use all the others?

Attachments

• Englander Exhaust Blower Change (1).JPG
    Englander Exhaust Blower Change (1).JPG
    269 KB · Views: 261
  • Englander Exhaust Blower Change (2).JPG
    Englander Exhaust Blower Change (2).JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 261
Hello Smoke

Yes, but many times they always put more than bolts than needed to secure something in case one fails.

Anyway, I drilled the bolt out and started to re-tap it with another bolt until that bold got stuck and broke! LOL

So I drilled that bolt out with a 5/32" drill bit too!

Now here is the trick! It seems the original machine screw bolts are very hard to get! I found hex head Stainless Steel 5 mm that were real close but got stuck going in. Not the same threads! So I called Englander and the tech did not have the info right there. Not many people call and ask about their bolts! LOL He was nice and got the info. He stated to use #12 Sell Drilling. I thought that was strange because the actual size seemed very close to 10/32. My new bolt gage gave me that info! So after gallabanding around, I found that they were suggesting a substitution here to make it easier. Since the original 5/16 Hex Head machine screws 1/2 inch long with a 10/32 thread with a slight taper on the end is a custom job for Englander. To satisfy my own curiosity, I did find a couple packs of 3/4 inch long 10/32 stainless steel machine screws with a Philips head at home depot. To my surprise they fit perfectly and hold the exhaust housing tight!

Lowes does have them but not in Stainless Steel!
I wonder if there is any other reason that stove manufacturers do not use stainless steel bolts other than cost? ?
Therefore I ordered these on Amazon so I can put them into the stove I am rebuilding and have extras when I need them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00137ECDA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I have to make sure that new hole will work with the new bolt.

Pics below
#1 - Drilling out the bolt hole with a 5/32" Titanium Drill bit
#2 - Re-Tapping the threads
#3 - Drilled out bolt hole.
#4 - Using the Die Grinder to get the drilled out hole surface smooth after re-tapping
#5 - Spraying the Englander 25-PDVC exhaust manifold with "Dry Moly"
#6 - Englander 25-PDVC Exhaust manifold after wire brusing with the drill/driver and spraying with "Dry Moly"
#7 - bolts that I tried, the old rusty one is the original tappered 10/32 with the 5/16 Hex Head
From Left to right
Original Bolt, #10 Self Drilling suggested by Englander Support Tech,5 milimeter Hex Head bolt I tried that did not fit, and 10/32 -Philips head that I tried that fit origial threads!
#8 - New 10/32 SS bolt with Philips head shown holding new blower housing in securely!

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1552.JPG
    IMG_1552.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 199
Field expedience is what makes good mechanic. The ability to improvise in a given situation. Obviously this is gained by experience and you seem to be getting plenty of it.

Field expedience is what makes good mechanic. The ability to improvise in a given situation. Obviously this is gained by experience and you seem to be getting plenty of it.

Thanks, Rebuilding a stove gives great experience! LOL I hope my friend likes how it comes out!

Here is the latest pic of the Exhaust Blower replacement and the head of the bolt I had to cut off to get the darn blower out

Looks a little better than the one that was replaced! LOL

Click on pics to Enlarge:

Attachments

• IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1557s.jpg
    IMG_1557s.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 209
Hello

Well the special Upgraded Stainless Steel Bolts from Amazon came in for the Englander Exhaust blower housing today. They look good!

Attachments

• NewUpgradedSSEnglanderExhaustHousingBolts1.JPG
    NewUpgradedSSEnglanderExhaustHousingBolts1.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 179
  • NewUpgradedSSEnglanderExhaustHousingBolts2.JPG
    NewUpgradedSSEnglanderExhaustHousingBolts2.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 180
Hello

Well, the new bolts are just the right size and work very well! See yellow arrow in pic

Click to Enlarge:

Attachments

• IMG_1575ya.jpg
    IMG_1575ya.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.