Any Trane Dealers Here? Differences between (residential) models?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hey There,
Working on getting an HVAC system installed, but need to confirm which condenser to choose.

System is 2-ton, and we've decided on the TAM7 VS handler.
Condenser options: XB13 or XR13. Can't seem to find any straight info on these--some say 5-year warranty on XB, though Trane's website says 10--well, on most of the pages! I think we're looking more for reliability/noise, since the seer rating, at two-three months/year, probably won't make much difference.

Info?

Thanks,

S

It looks like the main difference between them is cooling efficiency. If you are primarily interested in heating, then the SEER is not that big a deal. You need to go up to the 2 stage XL16i to get a nice jump from HSPF 8.5 up to HSPF 9.2. I looked at that unit long and hard. It is a good model. In 2 ton that would be 4TWX6024E.

FWIW, we have the Am Std Heritage 16 system with an HSPF 9.0. This coupled with it being a 2 stage unit has been really nice. It is much quieter and more efficient than a lot of other systems out there. Our air handler is matched with variable speed DC motors. When the system is in the low stage, we barely know it's running.

Hello,

Just recently replaced my HVAc 2 zone systems..furnace,coil and condenser..used Lennox equipment slp98 2 stage condensing furnace variable speed motor zone 1/zone2 sl280 2 stage with variable speed motor..Long story but was restricted to use the 80% (sl280)..extremely quiet equipment..I accessed the mfg's website and got the matching coil and condensers..wound up with a 17 seer a/c system..condenser xc17 tall teardrop shape..very very quiet outside-neighbors must be thrilled...2.5 ton r410a coil house 2975 sq ft

Sometimes the vendor will offer special incentives for the matching equipt..in my case a rebate of 2600 bucks..Local utility gave rebate of 1400 due to early retirement on the a/c.. Lennox has some sort of insulation in the interior of the furnace which I was told is the lowest db rating in the industry..Don't think a couple of decibels difference is detectable..but just wanted to tell you what I did...

The utility company already lowered by gas and electric 100 bucks a month and I just started to use the systems early december..Got 10 yrs parts and Labor, no lemons,lifetime on the heat exchangers 10 yrs on the compressor and guaranteed customer satisfaction-meaning if I don't like the system with the 1st year they will work with me to replace it..I have this in a written contract..installer guaranteed performance(utl bills will go down) workmanship and ductwork modification...

Since I am a widow and flying solo I was scared to death about doing this...Good luck with your choice..have 2 stage matching thermostats as well..HI BG

ps just found my gas and electric bills in the mailbox..I am on balanced billing but now have a Balance in MY favor on both..this has not happened before during winter!!!

I'm sorry, I should have explained that this is cooling only.

S

Hey I'm sorry for butting in...but please check with your local utility for incentives..and Trane's website for matching equipment..if the equipment I installed is this good in winter can't wait to see my summer bills!..Do have vaulted and cathedral ceilings and allergies so I really do use my central a/c a lot..

Good luck to you sir...

Watch out for what the warranty requires. We had ours installed by Horizon (well, homedepot, but they subcontract it out). We have pretty much the same as above BUT you have to get it inspected/serviced each year.... which is like $80... of course the last 3 or 4 times the guy has showed up he hasnt done anything, since its still new. But this way I am covered for a lot of stuff. And since its a heat pump, we use it a lot.

If you are totally replacing the HVAC GET A HEATPUMP it will save you tons of money!

Status
Not open for further replies.