any tree experts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce

Nov 20, 2005
long pond pa
i have a few cherry trees that the sap is dripping out all up and down the entire tree, a huge amout one one,over 5 gallons
does this mean the tree is going dead?
there is only a few tree's that do this and many cherry's the are in great shape
any opinions would be great

Well, since no one else has posted, I'll take a stab. You may try googling "gummosis" and see if the symptoms resemble what you see on your trees. Beyond that, the only other thing I know about trees is pruning is much easier if you just cut the big branch right above the ground. :)

Good Luck
Corey

Cherry trees can produce a lot of gum (sap), and that's probably what you're seeing. If it's bird damage, there's a reason the birds are pecking at the bark, i.e., to get at the bugs that are living in a rotten area. Other than that, there's not much you can do other than to hope the tree survives. If not, well at least you've got the firewood. Cherry is not the best wood from a btu point of view, but it does burn hot (albeit quickly) when dry. BTW, that's a cherry veneer tree in my avatar. No gum in that tree.

if you have to burn them they make a good fire. i burned 2 cord of cherry last year burned well and smells nice when you thro on a new piece. got one more cord left for this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.