1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Any Trick to Lining up the Cuts With Cut, Rotate, Cut?

Post in 'The Gear' started by WarmGuy, Feb 20, 2013.

1. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Far Northern Calif. Coast
    I've be cutting some big rounds, and since the logs are on the ground, I cut 85% through, then rotate the log and finish the cut.

Usually, everything lines up and the finishing off works fine. Often, however, I end up cutting more than necessary, with thin slices of wood between the original cut and the second one. Sometimes I start the second cut within part of the first. Other times I start the new cut sighting the two ends of the first. But it is never guaranteed to work.

Is there a better way?
    DanCorcoran likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    You could always finish the cut from bottom up after rolling. Bit more work supporting the saws weight though.
    Or kind of scuff a line in the bark from one side of the cut to the other then follow that line.
    Pallet Pete and zap like this.
  3. charly

charly Guest

I roll the cut log over but instead of cutting from the top, I stick the nose of my bar up into the cut and work it through from the bottom up , thus using the previous cut as a guide.. Works perfect.. just have to watch you don't catch the ground or have the saw kick back when you first go in... I always stand to the side of the bar as well.. Practice and it will be second nature ,,I've been doing it that way for over 30 years..
  4. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Yep. I find it really easy with a 28" bar. No bending.
    ScotO and charly like this.
  5. charly

charly Guest

Working smart! :)
  6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I do it like midwestcoast mentioned, works great.
  7. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    If I've gone your "85-90%" of the way through and can easily see both sides of the cut after rolling I'll hit it top down. However, "bottoms up" works perfect too, just uses a little more effort supporting/lifting the saw, plus introduces a minimal, but present, kickback situation.
    ScotO likes this.
  8. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Same here.

Pete
  9. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    On larger logs I always do the bottom up cut. Depending on the tree it most often saves bar pinching and if the log has layed on the ground for any period of time and has gotten dirt stuck in the bark, your chain is throwing the nasty crap out away from the saw rather than pulling it in and around your chain sprocket and oiler.
    charly likes this.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I though everybody on the West Coast was running 32"+ bars? ;)
  11. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I get it close.
    It's fire wood ;)
    Wood stove won't complain & after it's split, it'll be hard to find the mis-aligned cuts
    ScotO likes this.
  12. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    x2 on BogyDave's comment. I do whatever is safest for me and don't worry too much about perfection with fire wood. Sometimes up - sometimes down
  13. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    I finish bottom up all the time. To be safe I insert the bar into the cut before I start the chain.
    midwestcoast and ScotO like this.
  14. I use a log jack when practical.
  15. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I usually do the bottom up cut as well, and as muncybob said I put the bar into the kerf BEFORE throttling the saw....that keeps the kickback risk to the a minimum ...
    midwestcoast, Stlshrk and charly like this.
  16. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I insert as much of the bar as necessary in the established kerf to get the proper bar orientation for the finishing cut. Works for me.
    ScotO likes this.
  17. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Wedge it and cut from both sides. If your not lining up its either a knot or crouch in the(Something nasty). Chain sharpening too.
  18. Stlshrk

Stlshrk Member

Loc:
    VA
    Drop the tree on cuts you've already made. Then no need to roll.
    or
    LogJack
    or
    Upcut from where you stopped. Like other said, more effort and care needs to be taken (as always)
    or
    Double sided ax CHOP!!!!! hahahaha
  19. charly

charly Guest

Same thing here.
  20. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Good point, but, I don't think he is worried about what it ends up looing like. The problem is more about having to cut the log almost twice sometimes when you miss the first cut and end up going thru half the round agian before it breaks apart.... that drives me nuts when that happends. My old chain (I just changed my chain recently) was screwed up, and pulling to one side really bad, so it was making it impossible to line up the next cut after flipping over the round. So much easier after changing the chain.
  21. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Good tips, thanks.
  22. tim1

tim1 Member

Loc:
    columbia river gorge,portland or
    With crap in the bark. I ax the bark, at the cut marks, all around off,, then score the cut both sides, then go down from top both sides the whole length of the log, then roll and will see the mating cut ends, works good. Tim
  23. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    I did this today it worked perfectly. No extra cutting at all. Thanks.
    midwestcoast likes this.