1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

any tricks for cutting stove pipe?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bostock, Sep 26, 2012.

1. bostock

bostock Member

Loc:
    Sharpsburg Maryland
    see pics - need about 8" or so to connect it up. Bought a 12" length and tried cutting but i'm thinking my metal shears are too weak (i think the pipe is 22guage? not sure - from Lowes). Anyway i'm sure the answer is just "get bigger shears" but i wondered if there's any additional old-timer know how that might be of assistance. Thanks folks :)
    007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sebring

sebring Member

Loc:
    PA
    I use a hand grinder with a diamond blade. Use eye protection.
  3. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I've used a sawall or a jig saw with a fine tooth quality metal blade, put 2 or 3 lairs of duct tape on the bottom of the saws shoe plate to keep it from scratching the pipe if looks are important. Gloves & glasses too
    dorkweed likes this.
  4. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Grinder with a cut-off wheel. I've done single and double wall, no problems.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. rwhite

rwhite Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Idaho
    A hacksaw is a great tool for cutting crooked. I'd draw a line and use a cut off blade.
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
  7. realstihl

realstihl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    eastern kansas
    I'll second the aviation snips, but will add that you need offset right or left. Wiss is the brand name and the are over $20.00 to buy. Probably more money than the piece of pipe you're cutting. Offset is the way to go on pipe.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Here's some info on how to cut round pipe. There are different methods depending on the depth of cut, gauge of metal, and whether the sheet is flat (like lock seam pipe) or already joined into a round pipe.If the cut is shallow and you are only removing an inch or two, then a right handed aviation snip should do the job. You may need to hacksaw thru the seam. Wear gloves if you haven't done this before or you hands may look like you just tried to give an alley cat a bath.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/so-what-is-the-easiest-way-to-cut-stove-pipe.6961/
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Cut_Sheet_Metal_and_Stove_Pipe/
    dylskee and Milton Findley like this.
  9. Sodbuster

Sodbuster New Member

Loc:
    Hartland, MI
    x2 on the angle grinder, just a cutoff wheel will do nicely, $2-3. Take your time and follow the line and it will look perfect.
  10. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I always used a 7-1/4" circular saw with an abrasive cut-off blade.
    Mark the length on the circumference of the pipe with a Sharpie.
    Lay the pipe flat on the floor, kneel down & hold it still with one shin.
    Plunge cut to get started & then roll the pipe towards the saw until you complete the cut.
    Wear a face shield AND safety glasses, as shrapnel flies everywhere.
    When you're done, deburr the edges with a smooth file...
    I might add that it is WAY easier if you have another similarly protected body to secure & roll the pipe for you...
  11. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Adjustable slip pipe works great for sections like that. After you cut that pipe you may find you need to crimp that adapter more on your liner to fit inside your short section of pipe.
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Daksy, it's rare that I would disagree with you, but that would seem to be freakin dangerous with a 12" piece of pipe. And just slightly less so with a longer one. My sister-in-law sliced her leg open with a circular saw trying to cut that way. If the saw or the piece of metal gets away from you, torn flesh is a very possible result.
  13. realstihl

realstihl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    eastern kansas
    Snips is the safest way to cut pipe. No noise or high speed rotary action going on. Yes, they are expensive but a trip to the emergency will be more. Wear leather gloves and take your time. Sheetmetal snips around the house is a good thing. You'll use the again on another project.
  14. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Mark where you need and then take it to the nearest metal shop with a metal band saw. Let them worry about the safety side. Probably a $5.00 cut.

Or Chuck Norris....>>
    Milton Findley likes this.
  15. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Wear chaps to protect the gonads!
  16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Or if you want to be really simple, buy your pipe from the local hardware and have them do the cutting. Most will do it with no additional cost to you.
  17. bostock

bostock Member

Loc:
    Sharpsburg Maryland
    great input, all....i'm leaning towards the angle grinder only because i have that already..and yeah, i'll wear eye gear :)
  18. Milton Findley

Milton Findley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Exactly Jags, I get mine cut at the stove store where I buy the connecting pipe, and they do it for free. 22 gauge is a bear even with Wiss aviation snips.
  19. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I agree it's not the ideal way to cut metal, but that's the way I've done it & would do it again. The OP asked for input. I gave mine. I don't recommend ANYONE try anything that they are not totally comfortable with. ANY power tool is a danger to the operator as soon as he disrespects it.
  20. husky345 vermont resolute

husky345 vermont resolute New Member

Loc:
    london, ontario
    wiss snips, nothin to it
  21. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I have always used Wiss Aviation Snips. I like the red (right hand) and green (left hand) over the yellow straights. But they are expensive and there have been many other good suggestions here for a one time cut. However, if you have a need in the future, Wiss is the best snips made IMO.
    Chief
  22. bostock

bostock Member

Loc:
    Sharpsburg Maryland
    DONE - angle grinder with a $1.48 cutoff wheel did a nice clean job (and made quite a show for the kids!) Just need to put the damper in place and i'm ready to burn :)
  23. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    Glad you got it. I have cut about a half dozen pieces in the last couple years.. even some flex liner, and a grinder with cut off wheel has worked great.