Any truth to pre-season break in fires for older stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unit40

Aug 17, 2007
Northern Massachusetts
I thought I had read somewhere that it is a good idea to break-in your wood stove at the beginning of each season - the same as you do for a new stove. Any truth to that, any benefits, or is it just another excuse to fire up the stove, because if it is, I'll take it!!

cozy heat said:
But then, fires at the beginning of the season just tend to be smaller and shorter lived by nature.

Exactly. Kind of happens that way anyways at our house. There's always some dust to burn off.

Yep, always dust to burn off in the beginning of the season. Also, I have heard it said that for soap stone stoves, it might be a good idea to have a small fire to dry out any moisture that the soap stone may have absorbed during the humid summer days. Dunno.

Jotul recommends a smaller break in fire after the stove has been idle for the summer. I think it's a good idea with any stove. It drives the moisture out of brick, stone and castings.

Agreed with the above. Hearthstone's manuals recommend this break-in fire each season for the reasons stated above. Its pretty weird to see the stones actually get wet with the moisture they've absorbed during the summer.

Thanks. Sounds like a good thing to do then. My two Jotul 3CB's will be happy. Regarding the temps for the break-in fire - I'm assuming just one fire, not the several fires for a new stove - what should I be looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.