1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Any truth to pre-season break in fires for older stoves?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by unit40, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unit40

unit40 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Massachusetts
    I thought I had read somewhere that it is a good idea to break-in your wood stove at the beginning of each season - the same as you do for a new stove. Any truth to that, any benefits, or is it just another excuse to fire up the stove, because if it is, I'll take it!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I've never worried with it. But then, fires at the beginning of the season just tend to be smaller and shorter lived by nature.
  3. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Exactly. Kind of happens that way anyways at our house. There's always some dust to burn off.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yep, always dust to burn off in the beginning of the season. Also, I have heard it said that for soap stone stoves, it might be a good idea to have a small fire to dry out any moisture that the soap stone may have absorbed during the humid summer days. Dunno.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Jotul recommends a smaller break in fire after the stove has been idle for the summer. I think it's a good idea with any stove. It drives the moisture out of brick, stone and castings.
  6. ClydesdaleBurner

ClydesdaleBurner Member

Loc:
    South Coast, MA
    Agreed with the above. Hearthstone's manuals recommend this break-in fire each season for the reasons stated above. Its pretty weird to see the stones actually get wet with the moisture they've absorbed during the summer.
  7. unit40

unit40 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Massachusetts
    Thanks. Sounds like a good thing to do then. My two Jotul 3CB's will be happy. Regarding the temps for the break-in fire - I'm assuming just one fire, not the several fires for a new stove - what should I be looking for?
  8. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Low....~200 would do it. Bring it up slow. You will be fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.