Any updated Pellet pricing now that we're into August?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PutnamJct

Feeling the Heat
Oil/NG prices swinging like crazy, wondering about pellets?

PutnamJct said:
Oil/NG prices swinging like crazy, wondering about pellets?

Lignetics still hanging around $200/ton at Tractor Supply inthe Midwest.

$241 at Lowes, $248 at Wal-Mart in Epping, NH.
$245-$275 at area stove shops.

Same here, we are at $240/ton and have plenty in stock. I dont anticipate a rate increase untill i have to buy more mid season. Of course casper and boulder are pretty close, i would expect the market to be about the same.

$219/ton for New England, standard Grade, $239/ton Quality Premium Softwood, $239/ton Allegheny Premium Hardwood, $259/ton New England Premium Hardwood....I expect the price to remain stable till September, which is when the real procrastinators jump in, then all bets are off.

I have to sell them at $265
California

I just got off the phone with our two local farm stores and the price per ton of pellets is $190. 25 at Tractor Supply Co. and $190.75 per ton at Orscheln farm & home.

$4.00/bag - $190.00/ton in Billings, MT Atlas brand

$240 delivered 30 miles and stacked in the garage.
$ 120 a ton for corn in 100# bags.
I burn 25% pellets 75% corn so the fuel cost works out to $140.40 a ton for winter fuel.

At local D&B Supply (Farm Supply type store) they are having a pre-season pellet sale. Lignetics, $3.99 a bag or $162 a ton. Eureka wood pellets $3.69 a bag or 148.50 a ton.

roac said:
At local D&B Supply (Farm Supply type store) they are having a pre-season pellet sale. Lignetics, $3.99 a bag or $162 a ton. Eureka wood pellets $3.69 a bag or 148.50 a ton.
And your from ..........................WHERE? You can list your location in your profile.

Idaho. Pellet pricing here has to compete with really low NG and Electricity prices. Electricity just dropped 14% here earlier this summer.

roac said:
Idaho. Pellet pricing here has to compete with really low NG and Electricity prices. Electricity just dropped 14% here earlier this summer.
What is the cost per therm there for Natural Gas? 14% drop for electricity ? Awesome ......We would like to hope any lower prices hold ............ The Average price per thurm for NG here has been .82 cents . Last winter it was up to $1.27 for 2 weeks and averaged around $1.17

NG runs 1.07 per therm and that doesn't fluctuate much and electricity is 5.425 per KWH (Mostly all hydro generated). Add to that the fact you can purchase wood permits from the National Forests for 10$ a cord. Two of the local National Forests give the first two cords away free. We have a lot of dead lodgepole.

I'm interested to see what NG does this year. When I calculate the costs of operation I always include the taxes, delivery fees etc. Do you guys take those into consideration with your figures? Our actual per therm price is around .80-.85 but when you add all the taxes its up to 1.00-1.10. Even there it's still 7 cents an hour less to run a 45k btu gas stove than a 45k btu pellet stove. And that's not considering gasoline to go get the pellets. Pellets still beat propane by a long shot, but I really think that for pellet fuel to become truely mainstream it will have to break the NG price barrier again. Let's face it there is work involved with buring pellets and people aren't going to be willing to put the extra effort into it if they're not saving. I think first and foremost the supply must meet the demand, but secondly the price needs to come down somehow.

Shane said:
I'm interested to see what NG does this year. When I calculate the costs of operation I always include the taxes, delivery fees etc. Do you guys take those into consideration with your figures? Our actual per therm price is around .80-.85 but when you add all the taxes its up to 1.00-1.10. Even there it's still 7 cents an hour less to run a 45k btu gas stove than a 45k btu pellet stove. And that's not considering gasoline to go get the pellets. Pellets still beat propane by a long shot, but I really think that for pellet fuel to become truely mainstream it will have to break the NG price barrier again. Let's face it there is work involved with buring pellets and people aren't going to be willing to put the extra effort into it if they're not saving. I think first and foremost the supply must meet the demand, but secondly the price needs to come down somehow.
True there .

Northwest NJ here. 200-210.

Just bought 2 tons from local Walmart - Future Fuel from Missoula, MT - $247/ton. The bag say premium but no specs on ash, fines, or sodium content. Earlier this year in March I bought my first ton of pellets at Lowe's in Glenwood Springs since buying my Harman XXV - Lignetics $168/ton. Currently same Lowe's has Lignetics for a whopping $313/ton!!! Seems on the western slope of Colorado someone is into making windfall profits. It is hard to believe that fuel costs would add up to an 86% increase in cost. At the $247/ton it will be close to natural gas for price per million BTU, at $313/ton, NG is a better deal. The pellet companys are going to price themselves out of the market if this keeps up.

At the $247/ton it will be close to natural gas for price per million BTU, at $313/ton, NG is a better deal. The pellet companys are going to price themselves out of the market if this keeps up.
Yep!

Lizman,

Holy mackeral, that's insane! My only question at those prices would be, "Do I get a weekend alone with Shania Twain or Jessica Simpson?"

Dry Creek @ $230/ ton in my local Agway near Albany, NY in July
now at $238/ton in August

Whatever pellets they sell at Tractor Supply have been going for $230/ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.