Any updated Pellet pricing now that we're into August?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed on the special's board at Aubachon's in Jeffersonville, VT that they have pellets for $267.77 per ton. They did not list the brand.

I stopped by Lowes Last night and took a this crappy picture of there pellet pricing
$6.97 a bag
$6.27 a bag if you buy a ton (50 bags) at a time.
That is sick
Lowes
Comubine, Colorado (sw Denver Metro)

Attachments

• Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 497
Choppedliver said:
I stopped by Lowes Last night and took a really crappy picture of there pricing
$6.97 a bag
$6.27 a bag if you buy a ton (50 bags) at a time.
That is sick

Whooaaa that is sick. I feel cheap all of a sudden. I had no idea the local market can bear 7 dollar pellets already, i thought things were more expdensive in boulder?

Amazing how the prices fluctuate...... Even if the manufacturer is close by to you. $313 a ton is sick.

Just a thought. Wouldn't pellet pricing be a good WIKI item? People could post brand, type, location and pricing as the season proceeds.

I think a lot of pellet retailors are relying on the consumer NOT shopping around. for instance, in Eastern Ma, I have found prices between $240/ ton (a retailor who is aggressivly growing his buisness) to $300 / ton (Stove dealer who figures at least one customer will be too dumb to buy his pellets elsewherec (ie "I thought Quadra-Fire stoves had to burn Quadra-Fire brand pellets")

Anton Smirnov said:
I think a lot of pellet retailors are relying on the consumer NOT shopping around. for instance, in Eastern Ma, I have found prices between $240/ ton (a retailor who is aggressivly growing his buisness) to $300 / ton (Stove dealer who figures at least one customer will be too dumb to buy his pellets elsewherec (ie "I thought Quadra-Fire stoves had to burn Quadra-Fire brand pellets")

well this is true to some extent, some stoves like high quality pellets, the quads, in there currnet design really like clean pellets. There new design will burn anything. I belive your harman will burn just about anything.

Good job HB. Looks so good it almost makes me wanna run out and buy a pellet stove!

BTW: Has everybody seen this thing. The guy at ACE Hardware showed it to me the other day. I told him I thought I would pass.

http://www.cajun-outdoor-cooking.com/lipigpegr.html

Trager makes probably the best pellet grill around. I dont know whey they chose a pig for a shell, it looks silly. The grills do work well!

Me three. I am going to call around tomorrow to see if anyone else is in stock yet with prices.

Last week I got a price of $2.87 per bag for pellets, no quantity discount from Sutherland's. The local stove store is at $4.85 per bag, but a 10% discount for 1 ton purchase. A local maker quoted 130 per ton, you pick up, but a limit of 4 tons. Seems Sutherland's is the best deal. Ironically, there are two local makers wirthin 150 miles. Their prices are higler than Sutherland's who ship their pellets 900 miles from Montana.

UncleRich said:
Last week I got a price of $2.87 per bag for pellets, no quantity discount from Sutherland's. The local stove store is at $4.85 per bag, but a 10% discount for 1 ton purchase. A local maker quoted 130 per ton, you pick up, but a limit of 4 tons. Seems Sutherland's is the best deal. Ironically, there are two local makers wirthin 150 miles. Their prices are higler than Sutherland's who ship their pellets 900 miles from Montana.

What brand of pellets are you comparing and who manufactures them? Perhaps we can share our experience with them. Also, what kind of stove will they be burning in? Some stoves are more flexible than others for cheaper brands of pellets. Where are you located? That is a great price.

I'd buy a bag of each of them today and open them up. Pour each into its own 5 gal bucket. Compare the consistency in size, looks for how much sawdust or other grit is in there. If the local mfg pellets are decent quality then go for them. My guess is at that price the pellets won't burn as cleanly as some of the premium brands, but if you don't mind a little more frequent cleaning, then they sound like a bargain.

I'm in Salt Lake City. The Sutherland's store is now $2.79 per bag, $139.50 per ton. I got a bad quote, apparently. This is for Eureka Pellets from Missoula, Montana. IFA is $3.99 per bag, $189.00 per ton. That's the local and I got a quote for Bear Mountain at $4.50 per bag and $225.00 per ton from a better stove store. Eureka is 100% Douglas fir, premium pellets. Bear Mountain is mixed woods, but premium and the local is mixed, but I have no other specs.

UncleRich said:
I'm in Salt Lake City. The Sutherland's store is now $2.79 per bag, $139.50 per ton. I got a bad quote, apparently. This is for Eureka Pellets from Missoula, Montana. .

Helps shoot down the "transportation" myth for high pellet prices. Missoula MT to SLC UT is over 500 miles apart. Arcade NY where Dry Creek brand is manufactured to my distributor in Brewster NY is about 330 miles.

170 mile difference between both scenarios. Yet I am paying $100 more per ton.

Go Figure.

they are probably getting there eureka pellets by rail. transportation is no myth, desiel is definalty way up, it cost more to ship and you pay more. Eureka wanted to sell to us by rail, but not give us a break on price to compete with HD. We didnt take the offer.

Don't get me wrong, I agree 1000% that gas/diesel prices have risen substantially. I just don't think that that explains the total of the price increases or the huge disparity between different parts of the country in price. Fuel costs have risen in the midwest on a similar scale as in the northeast.

Big sign at Aqway-269.00 a ton for dry creek. Was in HD just today and they too had a big sign- 279.00 a ton for Fireside. I am so glad I have enough coal for about two more years. I see that is going up too..... After that who knows. Maybe I will join all you wood stove folks..

I just checked. Cord wood at my house is still two gallons of gas, a quart of bar oil, one chain sharpening, two skinned knucles, one sore back and six Genny Lights a ton this year. Same as last year.

PutnamJct said:
Don't get me wrong, I agree 1000% that gas/diesel prices have risen substantially. I just don't think that that explains the total of the price increases or the huge disparity between different parts of the country in price. Fuel costs have risen in the midwest on a similar scale as in the northeast.

Well, Putnam, when you figure it out, clue me in. We take our cost, add the freight, and add a predetermined gross profit number to that.....actually this year, its almost $4.00 per ton LESS than last year! Lets see.....the pellets cost me $215/ton, I add my customary $150.00/ton, and..... :)

Your wholesale price is $75 more a ton then the Salt Lake City guy is getting them at retail....... That is the problem. Too bad you can't truck in 22 tons from where he is buying them for less then 2K shipping and have it still be worth your while. Unless you add in that extra $150 per ton %-P

BrotherBart said:
I just checked. Cord wood at my house is still two gallons of gas, a quart of bar oil, one chain sharpening, two skinned knucles, one sore back and six Genny Lights a ton this year. Same as last year.
Hey , Whada know ......... My cord wood price is running the same here in the midwest . Again , same price as last year . Humm

I don't know too much about the pellet industry, but I figure a large part of the price differance between brands is two things

1) what price the pellet mill pays for the wood - do they get a good contract for scrap wood, or are they competing with some big construction company?

2) logistics: is the mill trucking 20 tons by truck along country roads, or are they shipping a full rail-freight car straight to you?

#1 is mostly luck, #2 is good planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.