Any use for waterlogged pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LewLasher

Apr 20, 2009
Stowe, Vermont
Due to a basement flood a few months ago, I have a couple of bags of ruined pellets.

Is there any good purpose to which the pellet sludge can be put? I was thinking of using it as a kind of mulch around trees or bushes. Is that a bad idea?

Hello

That would work.

You can also use it for kitty litter or animal cages!

I guess you could use as mulch,oil dry, and for traction in the winter

. I would put the bags into Rubermaid containers and try and dry it back to its original fiber. Then use that as an oil dry for garage and shop. Or on second thought, thats a lot of work for a couple bags of pellets.

Throw them out.

I used it as mulch around garden plants to keep the weeds down and reduce watering. In the fall I would just mix it into the soil.

put it in the trusty fertilizer spreader about 1/4 full to half depending on moisture so it doesn't pack very bad and spread it out in the yard. The grass will enjoy it more than the landfill will.

Are they hardwood or softwood? I would be a little concerned using a pine pellet as a mulch, very acidic for the garden. Lawn and trees probably ok?

You can also mix them with melted paraffin in muffin tins to make fire starters for camp fires or your friends who have wood burning stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.