1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Any way to get rid of the new stove smell?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by reed102, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reed102

reed102 New Member

Loc:
    Greenville, Oh
    Got our new woodburning fireplace insert installed and this is the second night we have burned it and the smell from the coating is still very strong. Any hints on how to hurry up this process? Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The only way is running the stove. Usually after three or four break-in burns it pretty much goes away. It will smell a little when you get around to taking it up to higher temperatures for the first time later on but not like when new.
  3. pgmr

pgmr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Indiana
    Not that it will help you now, but I've taken my insert outside to clean, paint, etc. and have always done a burn off while it is sitting outside.
  4. kevinlp

kevinlp New Member

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    took about three hot burns on mine to cure the paint. which is exactly what everybody on here said it would take. besides the smell there may be some smoke which could set off the smoke detector (not that I have any experience with that)
  5. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    It took about a week to get rid of the paint smell. The only way to get rid of it is to keep running the stove.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.