Any way to get rid of the new stove smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reed102

Sep 19, 2006
Greenville, Oh
Got our new woodburning fireplace insert installed and this is the second night we have burned it and the smell from the coating is still very strong. Any hints on how to hurry up this process? Thanks

The only way is running the stove. Usually after three or four break-in burns it pretty much goes away. It will smell a little when you get around to taking it up to higher temperatures for the first time later on but not like when new.

Not that it will help you now, but I've taken my insert outside to clean, paint, etc. and have always done a burn off while it is sitting outside.

took about three hot burns on mine to cure the paint. which is exactly what everybody on here said it would take. besides the smell there may be some smoke which could set off the smoke detector (not that I have any experience with that)

It took about a week to get rid of the paint smell. The only way to get rid of it is to keep running the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.