1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Any way to heat closed bedrooms at night?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Proulx06, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Justin M

Justin M Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    The bigger problem I had was with them constantly touching buttons and messing up the settings.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    We have one in the master bedroom upstairs at the other end of the house from the stove. I have that same problem with my wife. And she is 70. ;lol
    Justin M likes this.
  3. Charles1981

Charles1981 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You could maybe install a top and bottom vent in the door itself and place a box fan at the bottom vent blowing towards the hall thereby hopefully creating a warm air vacuum through the top vent in the door.

Will still let some light and noise through, but the box fan may make enough white noise to cancel out the sound possibly.
  4. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    If the room is not too large and is well insulated I would suggest checking out eheat.com. These are electric heaters that use 375 watts and really do work well for smaller rooms. If you leave the door open until bedtime then the electric heater will kick in when needed to keep the real cold out.
  5. mithesaint

mithesaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    This. I have the same issue, and the door is closed for 1-2 hours. When we go to bed, we open the door. Is it a few degrees colder in there? Sure. Doesn't seem to bother my kid in the least. Try it out for a little while first. If they're not waking up and complaining about being cold, don't worry about it. Put an extra blanket on them:)
  6. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    My wife uses an oil filled electric radiator in her bedroom at the low setting but only at times of sub zero weather. Those few nights of use don`t seem to affect the electric bill.
    Personally I think it`s the most economical , quickest , reasonably safe , and efficient solution to what can be an uncomfortable situation.
  7. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I was going to suggest just cuddling, but the end result of that is often the least economical, quick, or safe. In fact, it can set you back 18 years + college tuition.
  8. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    Those days are gone!
  9. richkorn

richkorn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    We just keep bedroom doors open. We open the kids door when we go to sleep. Easy...
  10. npompei

npompei Member

Loc:
    Warrington, PA

Try this unless you are up early and wake them up. Sucks when the door squeaks when you try and close it at 530am!

But with the doors closed, you are screwed. I'm in the same boat as you. Open all day then closed at night. We run a small electric space heater up there. Nice and toasty, mom and dad sleep warm and longer. Can't beat that!
  11. saladdin

saladdin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Tennessee

I do this. The difference is night and day.

Attached Files:

12. saladdin

saladdin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Tennessee
  13. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    I prefer cool air in the bed rooms. We use low Voltage (12 V dc) electric blankets to keep warm while the oil system keeps the bedroom air at about 62 degrees.
  14. rona

rona Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southwestern Minn
  15. rona

rona Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southwestern Minn
    Seems like you could close the door until you go to bed then open it for the rest of the night. It wouldn't get real cold for 2 or 3 hours.