Any West Michigan people out there...what do you use and where do you buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonkman

Burning Hunk
Nov 11, 2015
West Michigan
New to pellet burning and I live in West Michigan, just wondering if there are any Michiganders out there and what do you use? And where do you get it? I only know of a few places in West MI and am wondering if I am missing some good places to buy pellets.

Currently I have Isabella Pellets, but have a sampling of two of each of these to test...Somersets, Pro Pellets, Kirtlands and Stove Chow.

Stove chow is from Home Depot, and the others are from Mulch Pro (near Zeeland) except Isabella's I got from H2Oasis in Rockford.

Thanks for the input!

ProPellets are some of the good ones. 8200 btu/lb. I have 12 bags of them in my stash and am very pleased with them.

ProPellets seem to be pretty common and pretty decent from what I hear, never burned them yet, I have two bags to try. Mulch Pro in Zeeland has them, but they are a little steep on their prices...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 9.05.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 9.05.21 PM.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 238
I'm in West MI, not far from Mulch Pro. I've bought from them before. TSC on the north side of Holland has Propellet or the TSC Brand. Farm and Home(I think), old Family Fare building on Chicago Drive and Waverly, they have several brands but I don't remember what off hand. I went to a few different Meijers and bought all the Greenways they had, they don't get very many per location. Some dont get any at all. Seems like a lot of places just get the MWF since they are made in Holland and they get them shipped for so much less. Too bad they are a terrible pellet year after year.

I'm in West MI, not far from Mulch Pro. I've bought from them before. TSC on the north side of Holland has Propellet or the TSC Brand. Farm and Home(I think), old Family Fare building on Chicago Drive and Waverly, they have several brands but I don't remember what off hand. I went to a few different Meijers and bought all the Greenways they had, they don't get very many per location. Some dont get any at all. Seems like a lot of places just get the MWF since they are made in Holland and they get them shipped for so much less. Too bad they are a terrible pellet year after year.

So you're the one buying up all the Greenways! The Lowes by me (Grandville) had Michigan Wood Fuels...One place I haven't checked yet is Menards. I would like to try Greenways, if I could find some...;)

Thanks for the input!

So you're the one buying up all the Greenways! The Lowes by me (Grandville) had Michigan Wood Fuels...One place I haven't checked yet is Menards. I would like to try Greenways, if I could find some...;)

Thanks for the input!

Haha. Wasn't just me. I had quite a lot from last year leftover. I bought less than 3 tons of Greenways. But, I do think each Meijer had very few from the start, and I do know some got none at all. A couple years ago the Meijer in Holland had 3 tons, that was all they got for the year that year, not sure if it's always the same. The Grandville Meijer got none this year, Jenison had I think 40 bags when I went there, it was just short of a ton which took I think 10 or 20 cents off per bag.

I do like them, but others are just as good, I'm sure some are better. I'm leaning towards all softwood pellets after my stockpile is gone. Hopefully that means next year.

Haha. Wasn't just me. I had quite a lot from last year leftover. I bought less than 3 tons of Greenways. But, I do think each Meijer had very few from the start, and I do know some got none at all. A couple years ago the Meijer in Holland had 3 tons, that was all they got for the year that year, not sure if it's always the same. The Grandville Meijer got none this year, Jenison had I think 40 bags when I went there, it was just short of a ton which took I think 10 or 20 cents off per bag.

I do like them, but others are just as good, I'm sure some are better. I'm leaning towards all softwood pellets after my stockpile is gone. Hopefully that means next year.

I'll see if I can track down some Greenways at a local Meijer. Have you tried Isabellas (all softwood)? After burning many different kinds the last few weeks I find they are pretty decent. I got them for $199 a ton last May from H2Oasis in Rockford. A lot of fines, but they have very little ash, and don't leave gunk in the burn pot like the hardwoods do I am finding....also, I heard they are coming out with hardwood Isabellas too I guess this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.