Any Wood-fired Water Heaters, Not using an OWB?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T Osborn

Dec 4, 2007
West-Central IN
In an ongoing effort to be energy independent, I'd like to replace my propane water heater. I've "Googled" the subject but I only get hits for OWB's or home-made heaters. While I do have the tools and ability to design/build a unit, the insurance folks frown on such "creativity"
So, does anyone know of the availability of a residential wood-fired water heater? If not, perhaps opportunity knocks....

No, not a furnace. A water heater. But thanks for the link

I understand there are woodburning water heaters made for hot tubs, but I have no experience with them. Rick

Interesting. It's on backorder. Must be plenty of people who don't mind having their lives threatened. :bug: Rick

Actually, that kind of language (cautionary) could apply to most things sold today. Heck, you've got some areas having to label things that are common sense, like wash your hands after handling raw meat, etc, etc. Everyone wants to blame lawyers, but it's really human greed that has created the litigious mess we're in--far too many people want to strike it rich without working for it, just like far too many want their 15 minutes of fame (and their perceived attendant fortunes). (I truly hate the offshoots of this mentality especially reality TV.)

Intherockies- I agree there's some silly CYA language required on products, but lack of UL listing on a water heater that you might put in your house... maybe in the greenhouse...

Thankfully they at least caution yu to install your own pressure relief valve.

I agree that UL testing is important and I personally wouldn't install this inside my house. However, the area that I've retired to certainly still has a number of pioneering spirits who still live off the grid. Most of these individuals at least tend to have more common sense to know how to safely install and operate such non-electric appliances. Sadly, the same can't be said of a significant portion of the general population.

Check with the Amish in your area. Here they have what looks like a factory built wood water heater. Very well constructed and what I hear from my Amish friends they work good and last a long time also.

Status
Not open for further replies.