Any woodworkers out there? Would like to make a sign.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
My mother in law just bought a property close to us (its a good thing). And the house is rustic and has a garage that looks more like a barn.
I was looking to make a custom type sign for her for Xmas to put on the barn, and was looking for some advice on:

What type of wood should I use? (I was thinking cedar, but perhaps there is another type that would be better....my wood supply is going to be limited to Lowes/HD)
What type of finish should I use to protect it? (I was thinking the sign would be painted with lettering, and then maybe use a marine type application as a protectant?)

Know this might be off topic, but I figured with all the wood burners here, some folks might actually make things with the stuff:)
Thanks.

They actually make such a thing called "sign board". it may be more expensive than you want to pay, depends on the size of your sign.

You could use treated plywood, sand, prime, and paint with an oil based exterior paint for best durability. Once you have it lettered go over it with a couple coats of exterior clear poly, Minwax helmsman spar urethane or something like that.

Thanks for the info. The sign is probably going to be perhaps 2' X 3'..so not too large....so perhaps the sign board wont' be too expensive.
Again, thanks.

why don't you try to get your wood from a local lumberyard. (more choices of wood species)
Just don't like the big box stores for this kind of project - except if you are on a budget.
Make it a little bit heavier, carve the lettering with a router or by hand and seal it.
A short search on Google will show you that it is not a major project.

pelletfan said:
why don't you try to get your wood from a local lumberyard. (more choices of wood species)
Just don't like the big box stores for this kind of project - except if you are on a budget.
Make it a little bit heavier, carve the lettering with a router or by hand and seal it.
A short search on Google will show you that it is not a major project.

Any rec's on wood species? (My local lumber yard carries about the same materials as the box stores, but will check them out anyway)

I don't know the size of sign you want to make:
Mahogany - first choice but in certain sizes quite expensive
Western Red Cedar - my favorite
has shown that it can hold up very well, it does not matter if used in California or here on the East Coast.
I enclosed here a link to more info on suited wood-species
http://www.grit.com/Property/Choosing-Wood-for-Outdoor-Projects.aspx
I would stay away from the pressure treated wood.

Cedar makes a good material if you are going to use a clear finish. Since this sign will be out in the sun you would want to use a quality varnish. Go to the nearest marine store for it. It'll cost more, but will last longer due to the UV protectant in it.

Pine works fine if you are going to paint it. Paint is a wonderful way to protect wood. It blocks all the UV rays.

The most important thing is to keep it dry. The wood in the walls and floor of your house will last for hundreds of years as long as the roof is good. As soon as the roof starts leaking a house will start to rot.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.