Any woodworkers out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
I'd consider myself to be a pretty good DIY'er in general. But I'm currently working on my first "furniture level" project. A built-in shelving unit/desk.

Quick question for any woodworkers out there: What causes my router (new for this project, not vastly experienced with a router) to "breakout" of the wood as I pass out of the wood after making a dado cut? I'm not using a variable speed unit. I'm moving slowly through the wood. Is it standard practice to make multiple passes to make a 1/4" deep dado in solid hardwood? Is 1/4" too deep to avoid damage? Is it my cheapo Skil brand bit ($20 didn't seem cheap to me!)?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have! I was excited to get a new tool. It works great I just think I can improve on my results with some advice from those in the know...

One way to avoid that is to add an additional piece of scrap wood to the outfeed side
- same thickness & density is best. That way your tool won't break out on the finished
piece. It'll transition smoothly into the scrapper...
Another way is to cut your dovetails or dadoes before you cut your piece to finish width
or length...
I'm sure somebody will throw another method in here, but either one of the two
I mentioned have worked well for me...

Excellent advice above. Also get a good router bit and take smaller bites if needed. Be safe.
Ed

You may be biting off too much for the router to handle also. You can compensate for low hp by making many shallower cuts and/or stepping up the size of your straight bit.

Matt

Do you have a table saw that can use a stack dado blade? It is easy to adjust depth of cut and width is determined by how many blades are put on the arbor. They are amazingly clean cutting also. Just asking.

I knew I'd get great feedback here. Thank you!

I never thought of using scrap behind the cut. Excellent idea. Most of the dado's I'm making right now are on stock width boards but I also like the idea of creating the dado pre-rip on wider boards. So much to learn. You guys have already saved me much frustration.

And I do have a table saw but it's not setup to accept stacked dado blades. It's a portable 10" Dewalt unit. I checked the manual before investing in the Porter Cable router just to be sure. Although...I've always wanted a router so I may have bought it anyway.

Thanks again, guys. Very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.