Anyboby know anything about pellet augurs or pellet blower systems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardin52

Mar 28, 2008
A farm in Maine
Hi all

I have a pellet boiler that heats an apartment house. I want to make a bulk storage system out doors and I need to know where I can get info and buy what I need to get the pellets from the silo to the boiler.

I have seen some systems that look like they run on a blower and I have seen some auger systems. Which is better where can I buy a system?

The pellets will have to rise about 4 feet to feed the boiler.

Thanks

Rich said:
Hi all

I have a pellet boiler that heats an apartment house. I want to make a bulk storage system out doors and I need to know where I can get info and buy what I need to get the pellets from the silo to the boiler.

I have seen some systems that look like they run on a blower and I have seen some auger systems. Which is better where can I buy a system?

The pellets will have to rise about 4 feet to feed the boiler.

Thanks

A short 4" diameter ag transfer auger the appropriate length, powered by a 1/4 horsepower motor filling your appliance's storage bin would work fine. Manual operation or automatic via a limit switch in the appliance's bin. Blower systems are actually vacuum systems for corn transport. Pellets aren't as structurally stable (as corn) and would disintegrate.

Any good farm supply store (TSC included) can get transfer augers in various lenfths.

Rich,

I built my bulk storage room last year to hold 12+ tons of pellets and to feed my Tarm 2.5MH boiler for our house. I used a Brock - Choretime flex-aguer 90/75 system to feed the pellets to the boiler. It works well and is a very robust commercial type feed delivery system. If you're in Maine, I would contact Paris famers union in Newport and talk to John Rowe who is one of their guys that works with the commercial farmers on feed systems. John is an expert in this type of stuff. They had everything I needed in stock and I made one trip there to work out the design with them and get all the pieces for my system. You can PM me if you have specific questions, I'd be glad to explain what we did and the pro's and con's of what I learned and BTW I'm in Bath, Maine.

Westchoper said:
Rich,

I built my bulk storage room last year to hold 12+ tons of pellets and to feed my Tarm 2.5MH boiler for our house. I used a Brock - Choretime flex-aguer 90/75 system to feed the pellets to the boiler. It works well and is a very robust commercial type feed delivery system. If you're in Maine, I would contact Paris famers union in Newport and talk to John Rowe who is one of their guys that works with the commercial farmers on feed systems. John is an expert in this type of stuff. They had everything I needed in stock and I made one trip there to work out the design with them and get all the pieces for my system. You can PM me if you have specific questions, I'd be glad to explain what we did and the pro's and con's of what I learned and BTW I'm in Bath, Maine.

Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.