Anybody Burn Linden?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
A neighbor cut down a small linden tree today and, as I am always on the lookout for free wood, it is now split and stacked in my back yard. (Thanks to this forum I learned it is much easier to split green wood than seasoned wood....How true. My son had a blast splitting it and was done in no time at all...)

Anyway, I know lindens are a hard wood but I couldn't find them listed on the wood BTU lists I have.

Wondering if any of you have any experience with it like how does it burn and how long does it take to season?

Thanks

We call those trees Basswood, not Linden, but they are the same. Basswood is kind of a low quality wood for burning. It's not as bad as poplar or willow, but it's not as good as ash or maple. I'd save it for the fall or spring when the weather is warmer but you still want a fire.

Poult

Thanks for the reply. Didn't know it had another name! How confusing :smirk:

I burned a little last year. A downed tree along the field edge demanded removal, so I cut it for firewood. Should have kept a few blocks for carving. As stated above, low heat wood. I used it fall and spring, and also mixed it with big oak chunks, as it helped get them going. Fun to split, and light as a feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.