Anybody burn whole logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
firefighterjake said:
EatenByLimestone said:
I've found that the further along I get into a splitting session the larger the round is that I won't split. There is some pretty big ones by the end of the day.

Matt

Funny how that works out that way, isn't it? ;)
Is that like how the girls all get prettier at closing time? I think I heard that in a song.

Methinks there is some fibbing going on here. Fess up to it now. You've experience it besides hearing that song...

Hydraulic powered splitter = smaller splits
Hand powered splitting = larger splits or rounds

bambam said:
Hydraulic powered splitter = smaller splits
Hand powered splitting = larger splits or rounds

Not for me. I use my hydraulic to split for stacking. When I need some smaller splits, or some kindling, I pull splits from the stack and use hand tools. Works for me. Rick

Same for me on the hydraulic splitter - getting the big rounds down to quarters or the smaller rounds down to halves, then after they are dried, it is almost as easy to just split smaller as you need it - provided it isn't elm, sycamore, etc.

We are starting to dip into our row of branches and small rounds, and I have found that a 4" round that has been out there longer than some 6" splits are less seasoned. it sucks.

Todd said:
I have found Oak rounds over 4" or 5" take forever to dry out and can still sizzle after 3 or 4 years so I split them.

Last year I went to a firewood dealer that had piles of whole trees they were cutting and splitting for immediate sale. The trees were cut down many years ago when some of the 40 acres they had nearby was cleared. I took a car trunk load to try it out before committing to a larger amount. Boy, was I glad I didn't take more because it never seasoned. I suppose that 16 inch unsplit rounds will season in a reasonable amount of time, but I have to believe that splitting and debarking whenever possible is the best way to go when it comes to drying. I also like to make smaller splits. I know that shortens the burn time, but it works for me since I don't burn 24/7 and I don't even load the stove most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.