anybody burning pallets ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood thing

May 20, 2010
potter co. pa.
IS ANY ONE BURNING USED PALLETS IN YOUR GASSER ? MIGHT BE MESSY AT CLEAN UP BUT WHAT CAN HAPPEN ? THANKS

I say burn all the pallets you feel like cutting up.

We burned a lot of pallets this winter as we ran out of good wood, a long story. They don't last as long and I had to fiddle with the air settings to get them to not burn up as fast. I don't know about long term affects to the boiler. We have a biomass 80. I could get a load to last four hours. I do know the nails are a pain to clean out. I didn't see damage to the ceramics, but I tried to be careful of how I burned them. My husband got sick of cutting them all up. I had to be careful not to let the nails accumulate and cover the nozzles and to keep them from building up down in the bottom chamber. When I cleaned out the stove I got more nails than ash out, made the ash very heavy. They worked when we ran out of good wood, but lets put it this way, we ordered 2 loads of logs this spring to make sure we have enough wood and don't have to use them again anytime soon. If you have anymore specific questions I can try to help, but we only burned them this winter and I am still new to burning with our boiler.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY MY THOUGHT WAS TO USE PALLETS IN THE SUMMER AND SAVE THE GOOD WOOD FOR WINTER. THOUGHT ABOUT USING A MAGNET AT CLEAN UP TIME TO REMOVE MOST OF THE NAILS. MY CONCERN WAS THE CERAMIC. I CAN GET A LOT OF FREE PALLETS AND THEY ARE MOSTLY HARDWOOD. I WILL TRY A COUPLE OF FIRINGS THIS WEEK.

Status
Not open for further replies.