Anybody ever seen/heard of these??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Snooping around Ebay and came across this today....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-gasification-boiler-ATMOS-DC-40-GS-not-oil-gas_W0QQitemZ220263368644QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220263368644&_trkparms=72:552|39:1|66:2|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Of course, not that I've had the time to do a search on Atmos I see other posts on them. I wonder how much the shipijg costs would be......the technology looks very familiar though!?

I have installed a 18 and 40KW version, although ornage in color. Zenon at New Horizion used to handle this line. I heard Atmos was reluctant to enter the Us market due to liability issues, and the sheer number of attornies over here, looking for work :)

They were some of the highest quality units I have installed. I have installed EKO, PK Pyro, Zenner, Tarm and Atmos. The Atmos was the best quality in terms of construction, fit, and finish.

Buying overseas like that may bring up some voltage issues, as well as safety listings accepted in this country. Not to mention parts availability.

hr

in hot water said:
Buying overseas like that may bring up some voltage issues, as well as safety listings accepted in this country. Not to mention parts availability.

hr

I have had a number of email discussions with PROSAT/Kotly.com. They are only shipping units with European voltage specs 230VAC @ 50HZ so a transformer is definitely required and possibly a frequency converter. I was quoted shipping at about $700-$1,000 and you would need to pay VAT but it would be rebated back.

Parts might be available from one of the Canadian importers.

If one doesn't want a gasifier, the prices on updraft wood and chip boilers are really pretty reasonable, although the chip boilers would need to be converted to North American voltage specs.

They also sell EKO boilers. Go to their website @ Kotly.com and you can see their entire line up. They can sell 110V if requested. The controller can run on 60hz from what I have been told.

If they can sell 100v and with those prices it's certainly worth looking into! I have sent Kotly an email with a bunch of questions........

"European voltage specs 230VAC @ 50HZ so a transformer is definitely required and possibly a frequency converter."
As far as I know all homes in the good 'ol USA are wired with 220V ac so no transformer would be required. If you chose not to run a dedicated 220 line to the boiler a transformer could be used, these can be had for minimal cost because the power draw of these boilers is very low. I think the F.D. fan is only about 70 watts and it should be the largest power consumer on the boiler. As far as the frequency converter requirement. I think the electronic control is run off 24V dc through a rectifier from the 220V ac so there should be no problem with the frequency there. The F.D. fan may run faster than usual but that shouldn't be a problem. I have heard of some appliances where this can be a problem i.e. clothes driers where the increased speed doesn't allow the clothes to tumble properly, but in this case it should be ok.

I think the real problem is finding a shipper I had trouble getting Kotly to do this for me, getting your money back for the VAT, dealing with customs and paying import duty fees, having to wire transfer the money to a dealer thousands of miles away, and any potential problems you may have with that boiler. In the end I don't think the majority of us would save much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.