Anybody Ever Used The Soft Bristle Chimney Brushes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I did the mid-season cleaning of the two liners Christmas Eve and as usual only just had stage one 1 "velvet soot" creosote in them. More than I would have liked to have seen but with our climate and the frequent start/die/restart cycle I end up with, I wasn't surprised. As I was dragging the stiff brush down the flues I got to wondering why I would subject the liners to that kind of punishment just to drag powered soot out of them.

Has anybody on the Forum ever used soft bristle chimney brushes like Rutland's Sweepsall line? If you have what were the results?

I've used the Rutland Poly pro brush, and it seems to do the job just fine. I think the flexing in the liner just from the brushing action tends to help know off any stubborn deposits of creosote. I think the stiff brush is probably a little more aggressive than you need with a liner, especially if you don't have a glazing problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.