Anybody ever wire an hour meter on an oil gun?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

91220da

Nov 21, 2008
Pocono's Pennsylvania
Thinking about wiring a Hobbs hour meter into my New Yorker oil boiler. I have the oil gun set to fire if my wood boiler drops below 150. I know with the minus temps last week the oil gun had to have fired once or twice while I was at work. I would like to know exactly how long the burner is running each year. Hours run x the gph of the nozzle should give me the exact gallons of oil used in a given time period. If anyone has this set up on thier oil boiler is it worth the effort/trouble?

use a regular electric clock set at 12 oclock wire cord into burner cord when burner comes on clock will run check on or two days see how far clock has
run after 12 hrs you can reset clock keep tract of time hrs or mins

Got hobbs meters on my W to W Geo heat pump and the gas boiler setting next to it [in the shop], not many hours racked up on either one since the wood burner.

Darn good Idea Porkie. Cheaper than a Hobbs meter and easier to wire on the 120 vac side. I love this site. I'll be in the basement if anybody needs me.

91220da said:
Darn good Idea Porkie. Cheaper than a Hobbs meter and easier to wire on the 120 vac side. I love this site. I'll be in the basement if anybody needs me.

I did the same thing as porkie except I was keeping track of my demand pump. I kept records of the degree days trying to get a handle of how much wood I would need for the season. Cheap & easy

You might want to check to see if the burner has a solenoid valve on the oil line. This is where a hour meter should be connected. Some burners could have a pre or post purge cycle that runs fans without oil actually going through. These are usually on direct vent boilers, but you should check on yours to be sure.

I have an oil monitor on my burner made by Zeronics. It has a transducer you stick to the burner motor and it can tell the hours run and calculates the oil used based on the GPH you program in. I don't think they are around anymore. It was diffcult to get the transducer to pick up the motor running and the lcd dsiplay was weak. I have a 120v Hobbs meter I am going to install now. I am wondering if anyone has ever installed a totalizer meter directly in the oil line-especially one that should fail "safe".

I installed a resetable hour meter to the oil boiler so that I can track the usage.
I installed a Panasonic TH246CE 5 digit hour meter.
Heres the link: Panasonic Hour Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.