Anybody Get Whole Logs Delivered?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I was thinking of trying this next year. Not sure if people do this around where I live but I've lived in another place where they do.
Can it be a money-saving proposition?

YEs saves money, Problem is to find a trustworthy guy with good logs. Ask around. Check the wood trucks as they drive by and get the number and call.

I heard in my area (central NY) full truckload is about 7.5 cord and costs around 400-500 dollars.

Thanks

Carpniels

I'm new to this web site, but for the past 10 years I have paid for a tri-axle of pole wood every year. A truck load used to cost me about $400, but over the years and the higher cost for diesel my last load costed me $500. I would then cut, split, haul, and stack the wood for the winter. It was a chore I never looked forward to, but it was cheaper heating the house with wood than electric or gas. After 2 years of hand splitting, I purchased a wood splitter. Again you do save money, but it will be tiring work. Some people enjoy it because it gets you outside. I just got tired of cutting, sharepning the saw chain, splitting, hauling, stacking. My wife like it when we get a load of pole wood, because she enjoys putting all the bark that falls off into our chipper to make bark chips. I just posted an entry here that I'm moving to a home with a fire place and instead of a wood stove insert, I'm looking into a coal stove insert. Make sure if you do get a load of pole wood that you have a fairly decent chainsaw to do the job. I favor the Jonsered Turbo saws myself. You'll also find it better to cut wood in the morning hours than mid day to advoid the heat in the afternoon hours.

If you cant get wood for free it is the way to go. What you spend for 2-3 cords cut and split you can get a log truck full. How much you get out of a truck load depends on how big the truck is. 4-6 on a ten wheeler 6-8 on a triaxle.

westlake, where are you from?

I'm in milford, PA and i'd love to hear a recommendation from someone in the area.

I probably know a logger or two around Milford, Corie. Let me ask around and see if I can come up with a couple of names.

Buying long lengths by the load is really the way to go if, like eartharvester says, you can't get the wood for free and you have a good supplier.

The only downside I found was the noise and the mess left over. If you live out in the sticks and/or you have cool neighbors, then it's not a problem. I've found it promotes domestic harmony if you get right on it and get the job done quickly, rather than wallowing in sawdust and chunks of wood all summer long. Back when I did it that way, it would take me a two weekends and evenings during the week to get it all done, which is to say, everything cut, split by hand and stacked, doing it myself. That's about 7.5 cords. If you had some decent help, it would go a lot faster. Always a great feeling to get a load of wood put up.

Eric Johnson said:
I probably know a logger or two around Milford, Corie. Let me ask around and see if I can come up with a couple of names.

Buying long lengths by the load is really the way to go if, like eartharvester says, you can't get the wood for free and you have a good supplier.

The only downside I found was the noise and the mess left over. If you live out in the sticks and/or you have cool neighbors, then it's not a problem. I've found it promotes domestic harmony if you get right on it and get the job done quickly, rather than wallowing in sawdust and chunks of wood all summer long. Back when I did it that way, it would take me a two weekends and evenings during the week to get it all done, which is to say, everything cut, split by hand and stacked, doing it myself. That's about 7.5 cords. If you had some decent help, it would go a lot faster. Always a great feeling to get a load of wood put up.

Well, I must say Eric is fast. I got a (free..yippie) load of Pine a few weeks ago and it took me almost two weeks to get that stuff split and stacked. Green pine is really soft and absorbs the blow of the maul by compressing, making it really hard to split. If it cracks, it goes pretty easily... Erics point is spot on though...get it done quick.

Lately, I've been working on sumac, mulberry and Cherry, all free, and I do about a 1/4 cord an evening. My Safari can hold about that much in a single trip, so I pick it up at lunch or on the way home and, then spit in the evening.

Around here the price for whole logs delivered in 8-10 foot lengths runs about 75 bucks a cord, but I know of some local state land where you can get a permit that allows 20 bucks for what ever you can carry out in one load. If you a big honkin dump truck, you could get a season's worth in a single load for 20 clams. Even the HD trucks will hold a core or so.

On the other hand you could go for sawdust logs for about 250 a ton..with no work at all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to get by without buying any equipment like a truck and trailer that I won't use that much.
I've been cutting and splitting some wood that was already cut up on my land as well as stacking some wood I bought cut and split.
I can see the bugs being a factor. So far, just gnats. Maybe another good reason to get things done before black fly season.

Corie,
I live about 3 hours west of you in Morris, PA. although I'm in the process of moving to Middlebury, Pa. in June. My work has taken me to Milford many times. You live in a nice area, but I can't say I have any recommendations for you in your area. Now if you lived in Tioga County, that be a different story!

I'm in the boston area, I had log length dropped in my driveway the other morning. Looks like good stuff - we'll see as I get it cut and split and stacked! Price was $50/cord, I went with the minimum drop of 4 cords.

-Dan

TIOGA COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man it is beautiful out there. I have some old friends with property outside of wellsboro and we go turkey hunting and camping up there a lot. What a gorgeous area that is!

Corie said:
TIOGA COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man it is beautiful out there. I have some old friends with property outside of wellsboro and we go turkey hunting and camping up there a lot. What a gorgeous area that is!

Agreed...I used to live right behind the Blue Dolphin

The scene in my avatar was shot just south of Wellsboro. Or maybe Coudersport.

I got a big dumptruck of oak delivered from my friend last year.

He maid me swear I wouldn't sue him if I got hurt while bucking it all. (He was half-kidding)

When it comes off the truck, it can be dangerous to cut because it kinda gets tangled up, so be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.