Anybody Here Duck Hunt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpma

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2014
W. Mass
Got into it with my 13 year old son two years ago, and it has now become an addiction. He has done very well with 6 ducks in the past two weekends. Also participated in his first goose hunt and bagged a honker

Mallards and woodies have been what he has taken so far and they are delicious grilled

Greetings, Sounds like you're having fun. Tell us more. Do you hunt by a pond? Do you have a good dog? Do you pluck the ducks or skin them?

It's been a couple years, found it hard to pluck the ducks even with electric plucker I made, so we skin them. Have a great day.

Richard

good day sir, yes we hunt a flooded beaver swamp in the middle of the woods. It attracts a wide variety of ducks. mallards, teal, woodies being the majority of what we have seen. The dog is on the short list. Still a short time away. For now I wade the pond to retrieve, or we use a telescopic fishing pole with a weighted snagging hook in the deeper water. My son shoots a Remington 870 20 ga really has been a blast.

We breast out the ducks and grill them after brushing them with some olive oil and coarse salt & pepper

Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• ducks.JPG
    ducks.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 158
whaaa??? I didn't see where anybody mentioned "motorcycle" :p

Just a general comment...and I say this as a second amendment supporter and gun owner...we discourage threads about hunting on Hearth.com for a couple of reasons. First, they frequently lead into posting lots of pics of killed/slaughtered animals, which many really don't appreciate seeing. Second, because they also frequently lead to discussions of guns and guns mods and ammo and reloading and on and on and on, which isn't why we're here. There are a zillion forums on the Internet for all those things...Heath.com isn't among them. If you have, say, a favorite recipe for duck you'd like to share in the Inglenook, that's cool...but all the details just how you went about shooting the duck to death and eviscerating it in preparation for eating really don't belong here. Hope you all understand. Thanks, Rick

Sorry, this to me is more about heritage, spending time with my son, and doing something we both enjoy. If it's offensive to anyone I apologize but my grand father who was a farmer (and cut thousands of cords of wood) got me into hunting and I'm proud to be able to share the same experience with my family. I truly understand the boundaries of this forum now and this will not happen again. Feel free to remove this......won't hurt my feelings

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for, and I completely understand and support what you're saying. Time spent with your son is precious, as is passing along such a rich family heritage. Perhaps one day you'll be able to watch as he does the same. I hope so. Rick

There are a couple of hundred hand carved duck decoys in this house.

Just never have shot a duck. Now some nights....

johnpma, I'm very happy to meet you, I can tell by your manners how you were raised and how you're raising your boy. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the pictures.
Retired Guy, Parraffin and cheese cloth, just like done in a salon.
Thank you for the kind words. We are an outdoors family hunting, fishing, cutting wood, maple sugaring, hiking, kayaking. Love the togetherness And even more so love when you are sitting in the blind and hear the wings of that first flock come over

Wrapped a slice of apple to a fresh mallard breast with a slice of bacon last night and grilled it mmmmmmmmmm......

You had me at bacon . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.