Anybody know about Jotul Firelight Model 12 Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elk, the old firelight cat is 60,000 btu's and ~2.8 cu. ft box. The foot pedle operates the top load. We sold gobs of these things in the late 90's. No real issues i can remember. They went to the Firelight CB in about 1992. The reason for that move i believe is because ther intire line went non cat, and the non cat version put out 80,000 BTU's.
One more thing, another PITA feature is the double door with the removable handle. Thats not a problem with the top load cat, but a real PITA with the non cat version.

Dylan I went into the consumer rating scetion about the firelight. No wonder Jotul discontinued it. Cracked plates gaskets leakage this was on new stoves cast cat housing cracking, then there the completely satisfied customer, real mixed bag
Like the top, load like fire box size, like the 60,000 the only thing that really is a deciding factor is the height of the flue exiting out the back when the flue collar is reversed Anynoe got some specs on this stove model or oppinions

Scariest part of the rating was the lack help received for Jotul. I know I can get parts for VC products. I know I can rebuild them.
I can not say I could do the same purchasing a used Jotul. especially noted common plate failures. Are replacement parts still available? Not know this, make it a larger gamble I could get a lemon I can't fix. Currently Jotul has no information on this model or support info on its site. At least Vc one can get manuals with exploded parts diagrams. In the back of my mind is Saying" but this is a Jotul" Jotul represents quality? top load cat good size fire box 60,000 BTUs Current pricing not bad location do able?

That review dealing with jotul support equates to dealer support. So if you dont have a good jotul dealer in you area forget it. All parts and pieces are avalible 7 years after discontinue date, by law, and i can still get parts for there stoves from the 80's. The firelight cat is a good stove, but like any it has issues. The biggest one that comes to mind is adjusting the foot pedel

Sorry, large clearances. Between my typing and wording its a miracle that anyone can understand me on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.