Anybody know of anyone using the Napoleon 1150CP stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. I have an 1150P in place, but not hooked up yet. If you do a search you'll find a couple of threads regarding this stove. If I recall correctly, one poster had trouble getting the stove hot enough to cook on the cook top, but I believe the problem was corrected when a Napolean rep checked out the stove and re-arranged the baffles. In addition, I've pm'd a delear that has one set up and according to him it burns just fine.

I'm happy with the fit and finish of the stove and look forward to hooking it up end of summer/beginning of fall.

Thanks for the reply-

I can't find any manufacturer details about the side shields, if any; the 1100 and 1400 series clearly show (in the brochures) the louvers on the top/front edge, and the cross-section that shows the burn cycle shows how the air is routed thru the side shields and out the front louvers, but the 1150CP VISUALLY doesn't seem to have these features. Are the side shields missing, and what is your installation clearance because of it?

Also, can you divulge why you chose the 1150CP? I like the practicality of it (I figure if you've got a stove chugging away at cookong temps, why not have the option to cook?), but there are several other models of similar heat output that I'm considering.

The Napoleon models are hands-down half the cost of the others, though. Was that your deciding factor?

I'll try to take some pics this evening and post them. The 1150p does have side shields on it - the picture in the online brochure make them difficult to discern. There are indeed no louvers on the top/front edge. The basic firebox design is the same as the 1100. I'm not sure why there are no louvers, perhaps due to the cast iron top? Based on the email I received from a dealer using one, along with reviews of the 1100, I would not be too concerned with heat output due to the lack of louvers.

Our decision to get the 1150p was based (1) on the desire to have woodstove on the small side (already have a Pacific Energy insert in another area of the house, don't need huge btu output) that had cooktop capability and (2) looks. The first time I saw the 1150p I wanted one based on looks alone. I happened to see a floor model for sale at www.woodstoves.net and had the opportunity to get the stove at dealer cost (so says my local dealer anyway) so I jumped on the deal without a whole lot of comparitive research.

Regarding installation clearance - I just followed the specifications in the manual. I believe that the clearances required are the same as those for the 1100 with the exception that with the other stoves you are allowed to locate the stove closer to a back wall if you use double wall stove pipe - not allowed to do so with the 1150 presumably b/c of the cooktop. You can download the manufal fro the Napolean website and review the table contained in it that specifies the required clearances. The only problem I had with the specifications involved the requirments for the floor. The manual simply states that you should use an approved "hearth pad". No other details. I emailed Napolean (as did another poster installing a larger Napolean stove) and we both got the same response - refer to local codes. There is no local code where I live for r-value or anything else for the floor. This site proved invaluable in helping me decide how to deal with this problem. Based on lots of reading and emails I used a sheet metal/durock/tile combo and it all worked out.

Hope this helps. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Here's some text from the Napolean site:

If the stove is to be installed on a
combustible floor, it must be placed
on an approved non-combustible
hearth pad, that extends 8" (200mm)
beyond the stove sides and back,
and 18" (455mm) to the front. It must
be installed with a minimum height
of 7’ between the stove base and
the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.