Anybody know the correct resistance on a St. Croix ignitor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
Since mine seems to have gone kaput I'd like to test it to see how many ohms it tests at compared to what it SHOULD be at...

Hey Krooser! Checked the igniter on my prescott and it read .058 on the 2K scale . Hope this helps you out ! Take care, Wi Thundercat ;-)

Wi Thundercat said:
Hey Krooser! Checked the igniter on my prescott and it read .058 on the 2K scale . Hope this helps you out ! Take care, Wi Thundercat ;-)

Thanks man...I'll check mine now...

What are you burning this year? Have left overs from last year but will be picking up more soon! Whats available in my area are Indeck , Lumberjack , Marth , Pennington. These are what i've seen so far ! Whats available in your area ?

Mine reads...................ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmm..............

I'd say your igniter is fine!

So if my ignitor is reading zero that means it's Okie-Dokie?

the darn thing worked when I fired up my stove in my driveway after i cleaned it two weeks ago... something got screwed up moving it into my living room...

krooser I am not a stove technician, but all we are talking here is an igniter element. I am not surprised that your element is reading zero ohms (most likely it's has a very small amount of resistance that your meter is not displaying). My guess is that when elements go bad they open up and you would see a very high resistance (hundreds of thousands of ohms) if not infinity.

I'll bet your first impression that something got screwed up moving it is correct.

should have a resistance value disconnect power leads from ignite r connect directly to 120 volt power after 3or 4 min it should glow red if not no question need new ignter if it glows red igniter ok

kinglew said:
should have a resistance value disconnect power leads from ignite r connect directly to 120 volt power after 3or 4 min it should glow red if not no question need new ignter if it glows red igniter ok

good point...

krooser said:
So if my ignitor is reading zero that means it's Okie-Dokie?

the darn thing worked when I fired up my stove in my driceway after i cleaned it two weeks ago... something got screwed up moving it into my living room...

Isnt always like that? you test stuff and it works great then when you need it it does not work. I got the same problem with the snowblower. works great when its 40 out but when there is 3 feet of snow and 10 outside the thing doesnt fire up. any way good luck, makes me wonder if I should pick up a spare one for mine.

I'm testing mine today... I'll have my wife hold it in her hand while I hit the on button...

krooser said:
I'm testing mine today... I'll have my wife hold it in her hand while I hit the on button...
LMFAO !!!

should have a resistance value disconnect power leads from ignite r connect directly to 120 volt power after 3or 4 min it should glow red if not no question need new ignter if it glows red igniter ok i stand behind my original post 32 years in electrical trade .simple resistance element very basic electrical go and no go test

No glow...the wife's hand still intact... need new ignitor.

krooser said:

If you keep doing tests like this, you might need a "BIG Dog House" !!!!! :)

ARGlock said:
krooser said:

If you keep doing tests like this, you might need a "BIG Dog House" !!!!! :)

Got one... 1500 sq ft shop...

Got one... 1500 sq ft shop...[/quote] Oh Yeah! The dawg house, or as i call it the man cave ! Could spend everyday in mine if i had to! Everything but a pellet stove. Hmmmm, will have to search craig's list next! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.