Anybody know

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCOOPER

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2010
Stowe, Pa
When the first pellet stove appeared?

Don't know but I saw one for the first time in 1984. I think it was a Breckwell. Not sure.

I believe the first small stand alone pellet stoves were the Whitfields, WP1 top feed. The Pellifier was a bottom feed and didn't last long with burn backs to the hopper. Wish I could find the sales fliers from the Whit. Maybe this weekend. Yukon had large industrial models and sold several to greenhouses. 3/8 inch diameter pellets were common and available in wood and cardboard. Now Heatalator had a freestanding fireplace with a pellet stoker on the side. You could fire it with wood or pellets.

Last edited:
01313_hb9IZY9wOVN_600x450.jpg Found the picture of the Heatalator freestanding fireplace with side mount pellet unit.

Pelletizing machinery and actual pellets were made here as early as 1980 or so (woodex), but there were not any stoves to burn them in! It was suggested to mix them with wood or try coal stoves, etc.

The period from 1982 to 1984 saw the first actual stoves, but we (dealers) really didn't hear much buzz until the late 1980's with the Whitfields. However, there were pockets in the west where stoves and pellets were made and sold.

If I remember correctly ( I was just a kid) my dad use to talk about guys at work that had corn burning stoves and could burn dog food in them, that was in the late 70's, their house was built in 1977 and around that time he was contemplating whether to get a wood ( heatalator insert) or a corn burner since corn at that time was a little cheaper than dirt. He went with the wood insert and he is still using it today, I'm trying to get him to come to the dark side and get a pellet insert since I'm the one who has to cut and split his wood now, he's a tight wad now and don't want to spend the $. As far as wood pellet's for stoves think around 1983-84.

Last edited:
Magnum stoves is claiming 28 years on their stove. Now if they could have just updated it more.

I found the sales info on the first wood pellet stove to burn pellets only. It's the Whitfield by Pyro industries. The flier details the stove and who developed it.

Attachments

• scan.pdf
    210.5 KB · Views: 207
  • scan0001.pdf
    325.2 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: SwineFlue
I have a little Whitfield Quest insert that's probably not too much younger than the one in that flyer (about 1994, we think) that we just installed in the office this summer. Works like a champ. Uses more pellets than the Quad MVAE per hour because it can't turn itself off and on (no ignitor, stat, etc., of course) but what a great little heater! A well made piece of equipment and it makes my days in the office so much better. I think, "Whatever happened to American manufacturers?" several times a week as I look at that little stove and think about how long it's been putting out heat. The pellet stove industry can be proud that so many brands are still made here and in Canada and with such great quality.

I posted the sales flier for the Whitfield. I have the Pellifier in the shed. Was helping neighbor sell both At a flea market 83-84. Was helping install large industrial units in greenhouses. Pellifier had major burn back issues and disappeared quickly.

Reactions: webbie
Status
Not open for further replies.