Anybody live near MOON, Virginia 23119???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am willing to pitch in for gas money....maybe those of us that can't help in the transport can help with the gas.....don't know how to set that up but it could work.....with all the folks here if everyone gave a little bit....we could pay for the gas so the transporting guys won't have to....see...where there is a will there is a way.
bet pen will know how to set up the gas fund....like paypal or something....I am not familiar with stuff like that....

My home is 194 miles from Woodbury NJ and 190 from New Rochelle NY. I'd be 500 miles on the day doing the trip. That's a lot of hoofin but if nobody closer can help I'm in.

pen

$600 was the best quote I came up with contacting about a dozen reputable freight companies. This would be an exciting trip, I wish I was in the line here

How about contacting a couple of local (to the chair) churches?
They may be able to get someone to move the chair to a terminal for free.

Aaron

fsr4538 said:
Mapquest shows the trip at approx 608 miles from Moon to Lowell, MA. All of the proposed legs are built on a mapquest directions search of Moon, VA to Lowell, MA

Moon to Wash DC - 155 miles
Wash DC to Woodbury NJ - 132 Miles
Woodbury NJ to New Rochelle NY - 118 Miles
New Rochelle to Hartford CT - 96 Miles (Gregbesia)
Hartford CT to Lowell, MA - 107 Miles (Forrest)

Others said they would help. Let us know if you want a specific leg or can split a leg if someone else steps up in that area.

Pen...... From NE Pen would the Woodbury NJ to New Rochelle or part of it make sense? I am sure it would be a bit of a triangle drive but I am not on the route either.

Forrest

I could help shorten the Hartford to Lowell leg as I live between the two cities.

i am about 2 hr and 20 min from woodbury nj, and 1/2 hr from new rochelle. I live 20 min from the turnpike in jersey, i can definately help with that leg from woodbury to new ro. will two people be able to move this chair from truck to truck without mechanical help at each persons house, or drop off point.
i am definatly willing to help.

f3cbboy said:
i am about 2 hr and 20 min from woodbury nj, and 1/2 hr from new rochelle. I live 20 min from the turnpike in jersey, i can definately help with that leg from woodbury to new ro. will two people be able to move this chair from truck to truck without mechanical help at each persons house, or drop off point.
i am definatly willing to help.

In terms of moving the chair, I'd say that if it was broken down a bit, two strong people shouldn't have to much trouble. Per the manufacturer's website the chair weighs 128 lbs w/o batteries. The batteries are supposed to be two "Group 24" sized sealed "gel cell" units, at approximately 55 lbs each. (think large car battery size) There are some parts that should be readily removable, such as the control pods, arm and leg rests, etc. which might lighten the chair some, but not sure just how much... Thus you'd end up with around 4-5 pieces - the chair, two batteries, and a box or two of other parts...

When the power is off, there are brakes on each of the motors that lock the drive wheels, but there are levers on each motor to put it into free-wheel mode. If not powered, the recommended approach is to put it into free-wheel mode to move it, then lock the wheels again when the chair is where you want it.

If I was moving the chair, I'd probably try to back the two trucks up to each other so their tailgates are close as possible, and push the chair from one to the other, possibly with a sheet of plywood or a couple of 2x6's to help bridge the gap...

As mentioned, I've gotten two bids from U-Ship in a decent range, one for $350, one for $325. The higher one expires tonight, but the shipper has pretty good feedback, the other has NO feed back at all, but doesn't expire for several days... I'm willing to consider the low bid if we can't put this chain together before his offer expires...

Gooserider

GAMMA RAY said:
I am willing to pitch in for gas money....maybe those of us that can't help in the transport can help with the gas.....don't know how to set that up but it could work.....with all the folks here if everyone gave a little bit....we could pay for the gas so the transporting guys won't have to....see...where there is a will there is a way.
bet pen will know how to set up the gas fund....like paypal or something....I am not familiar with stuff like that....
I stopped by to post this exact thing. I can probably only get away with sending $20-25 for gas $$(times are tight) but we all know that Goose helps make this forum the useful tool that it is and I know I've saved a HECK of a lot more than that by being a member here. If you can be a leg in this trip, but gas $$ is the thing making you reconsider, then speak up here or to Goose via PMs and we'll get it done.

tfdchief said:
Or how about we just have Goose get it shipped and we can all send money to cover it? I'm in for that.
lol, did you read my PM to Goose or something? Count me in either way.

Danno77 said:
tfdchief said:
Or how about we just have Goose get it shipped and we can all send money to cover it? I'm in for that.
lol, did you read my PM to Goose or something? Count me in either way.
Nope, same idea? Let's "get er done" :coolgrin:

Agreed. Go with the higher bidder that has good feedback and get it rollin'. I'll PM you for paypal info if this is ok.

Someone pm me to let me know how to contribute...I don't have a paypal acct but my husband does.....we will get that chair to the "GOOSEMAN".....would help with a leg but unfortunately my husband has been working constantly....we are goin away soon so he is trying to catch up...leaving his brother in charge when he's gone :roll: So I will help......others please help too....everywhere you go they are lookin for contributions for Japan....not that there is anything wrong with that...(Even shoppin on the web this weekend...sites were askin for a contribution......but if I am going to give some extra bucks to a cause....it will be for the Goose....don't know him but he's part of this website that has a softspot in me heart....

While it looks like we have three of the legs covered, it would seem that Goose has some time sensitive shipping quotes. In the event that this did not work out I would hate to see Goose lose out on the reasonable quotes that he does have. So...... I would go ahead and get is shipped and I will be happy to chip in some $ via paypal to help cover that cost.

Regards,

Forrest

OK, I have gone ahead and booked the shipping at $350, plus the $19 service fee that Uship charges... Total is $369.00 I appreciate everyone's offers to try to do the human chain thing, but it doesn't seem like it would work out all that easily, so I think this approach will be better... I do appreciate all the offers of help, and will say thanks in advance for anything folks want to send in my direction.

I'm one of those strange folks that don't have a bank account, so it is easier if any money goes to my GF, Mary-Anne instead of directly to me. Donations via PayPal should be made to Mary-Anne's account - mgwmgw (at) comcast (dot) net. If you want to send a check via snail instead, make it out to Mary-Anne Wolf, and send to 10 Kohlrausch Ave. North Billerica, MA 01862

Will certainly keep everyone posted on my progress as I turn this chair into something better than it's makers intended....

Gooserider

will send check Goose....husband not home to do the paypal thang...don't know how.....will send what I can to help out....Gotta getcha in that new sweet RIDE.....will talk to other burnerz too.... ;-)

Th!rd ;-)

putting check in the mail tomorrow....but Goose ya gotta promise not to shut down any of me threads when ya get back in the saddle.... :lol: only kiddin....gotta get a chuckle every once in a while and I think you could use one Goose....what you have been through....

Folks I am moving this one over to the DIY room and leaving a link in the hearth room. Hot rod chair building kinda sounds like that is the place for it. :cheese:

What a great group here, hey! Goose I'm in for $20 to paypal - it will only take eighteen $20 donations to get your 'wheels'. If you get more $$ than shipping keep my donation for 'mods' for your wheels. :)

+ something? Paypal sent.

Shari said:
What a great group here, hey! Goose I'm in for $20 to paypal - it will only take eighteen $20 donations to get your 'wheels'. If you get more $$ than shipping keep my donation for 'mods' for your wheels. :)
Goose, I am putting my check in the mail tonight, but if you get extra, I want hearth dot com flames on that sucker. :snake: God Bless you my friend, I hope this chair will help you out. Steve (tfdchief)

PayPal xfer complete. Forgot to add a note to it, but you guys'll figger 'er out, I'm sure. Looking forward to pics. Rick

donation sent. Hope it helps.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.