Anybody OCD about keeping the hopper full of pellets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aburress1223

Jan 10, 2011
Virginia
I keep a plastic storage bin (with lid) close so I can use a scoop to top off if a whole bag won"t fit. Any one else have a disorder like this? Everytime I get close to the stove I like to top it off. I have reached the point that if I have room in my pellet stash I like to top it off with another ton. Could this be Pellet Pigitis?

Definitely have to have the hopper topped off. I worry about it all day when I am at work. I need one of the pellet robots to keep the hopper full!

The only time I let it run down is when I am going to switch to another brand of pellets.

I transfer my pellets from the plastic bags into plastic kitty litter buckets with lids. I use 6 buckets solely for that purpose. One bag fills two buckets and it makes them easier to carry from the barn to the house. The only reason that I don't top off my pellet pallet stash is that they are parked in front of my bass boat and if I don't burn them all by spring, I can't go fishing. :)

Only check twice a day now. Once before I leave for work at 4:30 am and once before
bed around 9:30 or 10 pm. About the stash, the wife commented yesterday that there
was an empty pallet in the garage and what was I going to do with it, she said it looked
like there was room for more pellets and I should fill the void because she doesn't want
to run out. (going this morning to acquire another 2 ton) just to make wife happy :cheese:

jhass said:
Only check twice a day now. Once before I leave for work at 4:30 am and once before
bed around 9:30 or 10 pm. About the stash, the wife commented yesterday that there
was an empty pallet in the garage and what was I going to do with it, she said it looked
like there was room for more pellets and I should fill the void because she doesn't want
to run out. (going this morning to acquire another 2 ton) just to make wife happy :cheese:

You trained her well.

BradH70 said:
I worry about it all day when I am at work.

I worry about running out of beer.

smoke show said:
jhass said:

You trained her well.

BradH70 said:

I try to stay ahead of the curve on that issue smoke show.

SmokeyTheBear said:
smoke show said:
jhass said:

You trained her well.

BradH70 said:

I try to stay ahead of the curve on that issue smoke show.

Sometimes its hard to get more while at work.

I have a 120 lbs hopper. Don't need to check it every day, But do anyways so I can touch them. I break up anylong ones I see too. Another excuse to touch em tis all! Sick I tell ya! ;-)

j-takeman said:
I have a 120 lbs hopper. Don't need to check it every day, But do anyways so I can touch them. I break up anylong ones I see too. Another excuse to touch em tis all! Sick I tell ya! ;-)

me too open it and "check/fondle" them more than filling it

A 120# hopper has got to be Pellet Pig paradise, I can only wish

ironpony said:
j-takeman said:

me too open it and "check/fondle" them more than filling it

You guys are really sick! Damn, I topped off my stove this morning as well for no good reason..oh great.

Whew!!! Thought I was the only one. I fill'er up before work and before bed. If I'm home I fill'er up ever few hours!!! That's a good thing right??

ck it once, fill it once daily, pull the pipe rake every time I no near the stove. I am not sure what other stoves have that rake. It is some of device that can be pulled over the heating exchange tubes and keeps ash from insulating the pipes so we get the best heat exchange.

BradH70 said:
Definitely have to have the hopper topped off. I worry about it all day when I am at work. I need one of the pellet robots to keep the hopper full!

The only time I let it run down is when I am going to switch to another brand of pellets.

Same here

save$ said:
ck it once, fill it once daily, pull the pipe rake every time I no near the stove. I am not sure what other stoves have that rake. It is some of device that can be pulled over the heating exchange tubes and keeps ash from insulating the pipes so we get the best heat exchange.

My Quad manual warns you NOT to pull the rake when the stove is running. Is it because of expansion of the pipes or rake? Who knows but I made the mistake of reading the manual! Imagine that!

A bucket of pellets in the morning just because and then a top off at bedtime.

save$ and tj are holding out on us! You can bet they do just as we do! Anytime your near the stove the hopper lid is opened and the hands have to fondle the pellets. ;-)

I'm the opposite....I wait until it's almost empty so I can fit the next full bag in. My hopper holds 40lbs even so if there's any left in the hopper I can't get a whole bag in.

AW1223 said:
I keep a plastic storage bin (with lid) close so I can use a scoop to top off if a whole bag won"t fit. Any one else have a disorder like this? Everytime I get close to the stove I like to top it off. I have reached the point that if I have room in my pellet stash I like to top it off with another ton. Could this be Pellet Pigitis?

No, but I am OCD about every other stupid thing that you can think of.

tjnamtiw said:
save$ said:

My Quad manual warns you NOT to pull the rake when the stove is running. Is it because of expansion of the pipes or rake? Who knows but I made the mistake of reading the manual! Imagine that!

A bucket of pellets in the morning just because and then a top off at bedtime.

I pull my tube rakes hot or cold, even running full hot. If hot better have gloves on.

I'm OCD about making sure it's completely empty before i put another bag in.

Not me, I fill it at 3am on workdays and then in late afternoon. On days off like today, I open hopper to fondle err break the long ones up. Oh nooo

I fondle more than fill. Only fill it if a whole bag will fit. I do keep a ash bucket next to it full of Pellets so the wife and boy can shovel in some when I am gone.

I am sitting here cracking up about you guys fondling your pellets.

I don't have a bucket/pail system, so I only tear open a new bag when I can dump the entire thing in the hopper.

My more bothersome sickness is what was discussed in another thread - smoothing out the pellets in the hopper. I think I am developing a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde problem in that I can't decide if I should level them out or mound them in the middle. A depression in middle is clearly unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.