1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anybody OCD about keeping the hopper full of pellets??

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by aburress1223, Dec 8, 2011.

1. aburress1223

aburress1223 Member

Loc:
    Virginia
    I keep a plastic storage bin (with lid) close so I can use a scoop to top off if a whole bag won"t fit. Any one else have a disorder like this? Everytime I get close to the stove I like to top it off. I have reached the point that if I have room in my pellet stash I like to top it off with another ton. Could this be Pellet Pigitis?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BradH70

BradH70 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West NH
    Definitely have to have the hopper topped off. I worry about it all day when I am at work. I need one of the pellet robots to keep the hopper full!

The only time I let it run down is when I am going to switch to another brand of pellets.
  3. Waterbug

Waterbug Member

Loc:
    northern Michigan
    I transfer my pellets from the plastic bags into plastic kitty litter buckets with lids. I use 6 buckets solely for that purpose. One bag fills two buckets and it makes them easier to carry from the barn to the house. The only reason that I don't top off my pellet pallet stash is that they are parked in front of my bass boat and if I don't burn them all by spring, I can't go fishing. :)
  4. JHASS

JHASS Member

Loc:
    Jersey Pines
    Only check twice a day now. Once before I leave for work at 4:30 am and once before
    bed around 9:30 or 10 pm. About the stash, the wife commented yesterday that there
    was an empty pallet in the garage and what was I going to do with it, she said it looked
    like there was room for more pellets and I should fill the void because she doesn't want
    to run out. (going this morning to acquire another 2 ton) just to make wife happy :cheese:
  5. smoke show

smoke show Guest

You trained her well.

I worry about running out of beer.
  6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    I try to stay ahead of the curve on that issue smoke show.
  7. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Sometimes its hard to get more while at work.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I have a 120 lbs hopper. Don't need to check it every day, But do anyways so I can touch them. I break up anylong ones I see too. Another excuse to touch em tis all! Sick I tell ya! ;-)
  9. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    me too open it and "check/fondle" them more than filling it
  10. aburress1223

aburress1223 Member

Loc:
    Virginia
    A 120# hopper has got to be Pellet Pig paradise, I can only wish
  11. VTrider

VTrider Member

Loc:
    Northern New England Burlington Vermont
    You guys are really sick! Damn, I topped off my stove this morning as well for no good reason..oh great.
  12. Bank

Bank Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S. Maine
    Whew!!! Thought I was the only one. I fill'er up before work and before bed. If I'm home I fill'er up ever few hours!!! That's a good thing right??
  13. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    ck it once, fill it once daily, pull the pipe rake every time I no near the stove. I am not sure what other stoves have that rake. It is some of device that can be pulled over the heating exchange tubes and keeps ash from insulating the pipes so we get the best heat exchange.
  14. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA

Same here
  15. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    My Quad manual warns you NOT to pull the rake when the stove is running. Is it because of expansion of the pipes or rake? Who knows but I made the mistake of reading the manual! Imagine that!

A bucket of pellets in the morning just because and then a top off at bedtime.
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    save$ and tj are holding out on us! You can bet they do just as we do! Anytime your near the stove the hopper lid is opened and the hands have to fondle the pellets. ;-)
  17. Charlie500e

Charlie500e New Member

Loc:
    Rockland County, NY
    I'm the opposite....I wait until it's almost empty so I can fit the next full bag in. My hopper holds 40lbs even so if there's any left in the hopper I can't get a whole bag in.
  18. PJPellet

PJPellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western NY

No, but I am OCD about every other stupid thing that you can think of.
  19. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I like to keep it full...Two things that I will not run out of, Pellets and Beer!!!!
  20. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    I pull my tube rakes hot or cold, even running full hot. If hot better have gloves on.
  21. 76brian

76brian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm OCD about making sure it's completely empty before i put another bag in.
  22. dw06

dw06 Member

Loc:
    SW Pa
    Not me, I fill it at 3am on workdays and then in late afternoon. On days off like today, I open hopper to fondle err break the long ones up. Oh nooo
  23. EZsteve

EZsteve Member

Loc:
    Central Va
    I fondle more than fill. Only fill it if a whole bag will fit. I do keep a ash bucket next to it full of Pellets so the wife and boy can shovel in some when I am gone.
  24. Hitch

Hitch Member

Loc:
    S.E. Pennsylvania
    I am sitting here cracking up about you guys fondling your pellets.

I don't have a bucket/pail system, so I only tear open a new bag when I can dump the entire thing in the hopper.

My more bothersome sickness is what was discussed in another thread - smoothing out the pellets in the hopper. I think I am developing a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde problem in that I can't decide if I should level them out or mound them in the middle. A depression in middle is clearly unacceptable.
  25. helismash

helismash Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Yep, as soon as I can get a bag in, I fill it.