Anybody Process Wood on the Driveway?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm trying to figure out a strategy to process a tri-axle load, which could be here in a couple of weeks.
I don't have quite enough driveway and could wind up working on the driveway.
I'm trying to visualize how crapped up a driveway could get by cutting up wood on it (it's still relatively new).
(This does not include any potential truck damage (other thread).)

-Bar oil, spilled oil or gas (those darn Stihl caps)-maybe plastic tarp
-Cut up asphalt from careless bucking-be careful
-If splitting wood, plastic tarp (although I fixed that cylinder leak :) )

It's not like the driveway is virginal at this point, so maybe I shouldn't worry.

I figure the strategy is to process the logs on the ground, as much as possible.
Last time, I had the guy load the logs perpendicular to the driveway, betwwen trees.
The pile was way high, and I couldn't roll any down because the trees were blocking, and I wound doing way too much on top of the pile.
This time, if I go parallel to the driveway, processing should be easier in many ways.
There should still be plenty of room for cars to pass.

Any suggestions/ideas?
Thanks,
VF

I wouldn't want to on asphalt, for fear of tearing up your equipment...not the driveway. Get your chain in the asphalt for even a second and your going to have a major filing project on your hands.

I would figure out a way to use a sawbuck, up off the ground, or in the dirt.

For splitting by hand, just get a sturdy round and use it as a splitting platform. A glancing blow may still result in driveway damage with a maul, or splitter damage if using a SS axe or the like.

The sawdust will wick up any gas/oil that gets spilled.

Yes I have and needed the snow plow to move the dust.

Attachments

• Pink 880.jpg
    Pink 880.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 597
lukem,
I do have a Peavy, I think it's called, with a short handle, that I use to roll logs around, and lift them a little.
The metal on that dig in to the asphalt.
I was thinking cut part way through and use the Peavy to roll the log to complete the cuts.
Only, this time, I'd be REALLY careful not to hit the ground; yeah, right. :)

I've done a bunch of splitting (not by hand) on my concrete driveway with no issues. Just sweep up the splitter trash after finished.
I would not buck to length on the driveway, way to easy to mess up your chain. I try to buck everything up at the tree removal site,
leaves the saw dust mess there too. If I do need to buck a piece or two to length after I get it home I'll roll the offending piece onto the lawn & cut.
If I have an entire load that could not be bucked before loading, I dump everthing in the backyard and bring the splitter to it.

Thanks, Tim.
My place doesn't have that much open space.
I have an edict that prevents me from using the lawn as a log-staging area. :)
I could have the guy drop them off front (400' away), which makes everything more effort.
Plus, I probably couldn't leave the splitter there (theft?).
Closer to the house (on driveway), I can use the slope to advantage and roll the rounds to the splitter, plus carry my stuff back and forth easier.
Still might do it though.

first thing is when you are working off the truckload, remember safety!
when i have a truckload delivered, i roll down at least 4 logs and make "stringers". i keep the stringers about 4 feet apart and put them end to end. this gives me about 15-16 feet of a raised work area to cut the logs up. once the stringers are in place, i CAREFULLY roll logs, one at a time, from the pile onto the stringers, using my only partner...gravity. then i roll them out to the end of the stringers. i usually leave enough space between the first and second logs to allow for the chainsaw to cut only one log and not bite into the next log. if you don't, you're probably going to end up with a good case of kickback.
once they are cut to length, i hand split or move them to the pile. then i roll some more logs out, and start all over. the sawdust really piles up between and around the stringers. actually use a snow shovel during the cleanup.
because the logs you are cutting are on top of the stringer logs, you would really have to not be paying attention in order for the chain saw to hit the pavement.
been doing it this was for years...just never on asphalt. we have enough room in the yards here.
the log length around here is always about 8 feet. if you have longer logs, you'll have a handfull trying to do it this way!

hope this helps...where are you located?

I thought about having logs delivered on my concrete driveway. Wouldn't placing a large tarp down before delivery be a good way to make cleanup easier after processing ?

What about laying a staging area of wood pallets? Cheap, and disposable when you're done.

on the pallet idea I was thinking a few 4x4s laying perpendicular to a stack. Roll a few down onto the 4x4s and then cut at will. You will be above the driveway enough where you would have to work hard to cut into it. You might be able to use a come along or winch to pull a log out far enough to do the cutting.

Matt

I like the platform concept. The last (and only) tri-axle load I got had long logs of varying width. 4x4's would be more uniform. I usually cut the log on flat ground, so usually, if it's fairly straight it doesn't pinch on the final cut. How does this work out when the log is always supported on the stringers?

A stand pallet is pretty stong. We stack 2k lb pallets 4 high at work with no issues. You would have to get them off the truck gently though....and you'd need really flat groung to spread the load effectively.

Yes, every time my arborist friend drops off a load on my asphalt driveway.

velvetfoot said:
I like the platform concept. The last (and only) tri-axle load I got had long logs of varying width. 4x4's would be more uniform. I usually cut the log on flat ground, so usually, if it's fairly straight it doesn't pinch on the final cut. How does this work out when the log is always supported on the stringers?

works great-you just cut the ends and then move to your next 3 or 4 cuts...depending on how many pieces you expect to get out of one 8 foot stick. usually i can cut 3 pieces without having to worry about the support issue. to keep the logs from pinching, i cut about 3/4 of the way through, then just give the log a spin on the stringer so the uncut side of the log is up...then just finish cutting the other 1/4 from the bottom up by sticking the saw into the present cut groove

Watch out for the nails on the pallets, the chain doesn't like them. I use logs for rolling onto for bucking. Works great. After you get a good layer of sawdust down it will protect the driveway. Can't be any worse than the roller that is used to compact the hot top.

Will

I think I'm going to steer clear of pallets-I don't like walking on them. These logs are long - I don't know if I'll have enough room.

Hi -

I process 4-5 cords on my concreeate drive during 'mud season'. Like SmokinJ sez - The debris from bucking and splitting will add up fast. I just leave it until I get and area freed up, then clear with snow shovel, and clean up with a bit of 1:5 bleach/water sprayed on. Let it sit then rinse well. All good 'til next year.

I do 95% of my processing on the asphalt driveway. I cut most of my wood to length before I put it on the truck, but if I have to cut it at home I either use my sawbuck or cut about 3/4 through on the blacktop, roll, and cut the other 1/4. I split on a big round. I don't think I have dona any damage to the driveway or my tools.
This is for Jay.
DSCN1325.jpg

Probably could have used the tractor blade here too.

Flatbedford said:
I do 95% of my processing on the asphalt driveway. I cut most of my wood to length before I put it on the truck, but if I have to cut it at home I either use my sawbuck or cut about 3/4 through on the blacktop, roll, and cut the other 1/4. I split on a big round. I don't think I have dona any damage to the driveway or my tools.
This is for Jay.
DSCN1325.jpg

Probably could have used the tractor blade here too.

Thats the wat it looks around me when on the driveway! (WEDGES EVERYWHERE)

In had 4, 3' diamater trees bucked up in the driveway all last summer. Ran the splitter when I could and hauled it all to PA. If this was done on the grass, it would have killed a big area. The driveway was fine. most of the year the working area was 4" deep in sawdust and bark.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.