Anybody put their pellets on a scale to see if it really is 40 pounds? I did and it was off by 4 po

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
I did lst night, and all of my bags of stove chow weighed in at 36 pounds. I would love to see if anyone else gets the same results.

Could you imagine if people were being charged for a ton when they were really being shorted by 4 lbs per bag of 50?!

That is 200 pounds, or 5 bags that we could technically be losing if their weights are off.

Weigh your bag and see what you get. Just curious.

It sounds like your scale is off by 4 lbs which is typical for a house scale. What means of calibrating the scale did you use? I think you just calibrated your scale with bags of pellets to find it is off by 4 lbs.
I almost think that scale companies do it on purpose because people tend to like a scale that they weigh less on.

Hmm. For shytes and giggles I weighed the
next bag of Okanagans before dumping it in
the hopper. 40.4lbs. Zero'd it and weighed
it twice. My digital scale is supposed to be
accurate within .2.

Weighed Stove chow 3 times 40.1 lbs using a weight watcher's scale from Costco...

Attachments

• 0126111821-00.jpg
    0126111821-00.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 548
It is teh same scale I use every morning. I guess i can check it again, but it seems consistent to me.

The bag could be that weight. Grab another couple of bags or another brand. I contacted a mill about the light bags I was seeing. They stated there equipment is automated. If debri builds up on the scale and the tech doesn't notice the bags can become light. They are supposed to clean and calibrate the scales often. And the bags are inspected. If they do find light weight bags they are supposed to back track.

weighed 5 bags of Somersets. All were #40 lbs-#40.4.

Hamer's on cheap China-made digital scale weighs 41.

ok got on the scale weighed myself
picked up bag of pellets
got back on scale, scale read
OUCH!!
guess I overloaded it
it only goes to 300 lbs.

Stand on any home scale. Whatever the wt is, consider that zero. then weigh yourself and the bag of pellets. Whatever the increase in wt is, is the wt of the bag of pellets. Method used to get a weight of a young child who can't use a scale properly. The new digital scales are much more accurate, but beware, if you get on and off and back on, you'll often get the same reading. Some digital scales are set up this way to stop people from getting flustrated from getting multiple results from stepping on and off several times close together. You can overide this by picking up an item that is, say 10 lbs or more, then get on and off, then get back on without the item. Then you'll get a fresh reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.