Anybody recognize this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epssax

Jun 27, 2008
Kentucky
My insurance man took a walk-through and noticed this stove. He had to have a name of the stove to see if UL approved. There was no name on it and I bought it used.

Can't get homeowners without it. Or, the stove must come out.

TIA, Ernie

epssax

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/epssax/?action=view&current=woodstove001.jpg

Links:

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 429
A little forum bug -

I put the pic in and a link.....

Here is the bad news - I think that is a locally made stove from way back that never had any national distribution. In design, it looks like a certain "Pyramid" stoves from a company called Gibralter (not the same Gilbralter as the coal stoves, etc.)

Bottom line is that it is gonna have to come out, because you will not find any documentation.

That's a shame...inefficient and undocumented as it may be, that old beast really has some character. I like it! Rick

WebMaster--Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I hate to take it out. I feel more secure with this thing as a back-up in case we get a severe winter storm and our power goes off for a week or so while they restore electrical service to all of the scattered homes in our area.

Other than that, we don't use it. It (chimney) doesn't draw well as there are four 90 degree bends in the flue!

Yes, I feel it was made by a small company that is no longer around.

Ernie

Depending on the configuration, materials, and condition of the chimney, for a pretty reasonable outlay, you could replace the stove with a modern, efficient, EPA approved stove with a top-exit stovepipe connection. Might need to add some protection in front of the hearth, but I'd think it'd be worth some consideration...to provide just the same service for you as you've described. Lots and lots of nice stove choices out there. Good luck! Rick

I suspect the current installation is unsafe for probably more than we just see in the photos. But most obviously there is no hearth in front of the stove (it needs to be 18") and it looks like clearances behind the stove to combustibles are below code. I wouldn't be surprised if that is simple brick veneer on sheet rock which isn't helping clearances.

If you get a severe winter storm and a power outage, you may be working the woodstove hard - 24/7. At that point you really want an installation that is safe, reliable, easy to use, and that does the job. Otherwise you won't get a night of peaceful sleep. If it were me, I'd tear it out and start again with a proper installation. If you can post a picture of the flue, we may be able to help there, but as it is, I wouldn't rely on this setup for back up heat.

BeGreen said:
...At that point you really want an installation that is safe, reliable, easy to use, and that does the job.

Absolutely...that's the kind of installation it should be regardless of how hard you might be working the stove. No shortcuts, we're playing with fire here. Rick

Oh, the 3 wall pipe is 15 feet tall to the top of the chimney stack. We have a pre-fab fireplace sharing the same chimney stack. Ernie

Oy! Is the pre-fab sharing the same flue or just the same chimney enclosure (with 2 flues)? What is the window picture showing?

Two flues. I put the pic of the clean-out door so everyone would know I had mason put it in to allow access to the stove's pipe, connector, ect.

Its just a generic warning about creosote, cleaning out the flue, not operating with the door open. Not a name anywhere! Brass plate, though.

I had a similiar issue when my insurance company decided that ,after taking my premiums for 28 years without a claim , my "jumbo Moe" wasn't safe any more.

I sold it for $500 in Craigslist and got a new stove ( and insurance company)

Somebody will have a use for it in their barn/basement/shop etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.