Anybody Repoint Their Own Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpma

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2014
W. Mass
Looking for helpful info and suggestions.

Have some old lose mortar in the joints watsthinking about getting a diamond 4" wheel and grinding out the old mortar and then repointing it with new mortar

When repointing, hold the fairly dry mortar in your hand and then use the pointing trowel to push it in. If I hold it on a regular trowel I feel like I get the mortar all over the place.

bholler has posted some helpful tips on repointing a chimney in the main hearth forum.

Its not that hard to do, just takes patience.
Grind out the old mortar and clean the recess well, Compressed air or a paint brush works.
I like to use an adhesion additive in the new mortar. I found it also helps to pre-wet the recess. This keeps the old mortar from sucking all the moisture out of the new mortar, providing for a better cure.
Masonry bags seem like a good idea but I haven't found that they work well. The placement process that EatenbyLimestone describes worked best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.