anybody still burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow in the air and 34* here yesterday according to management. I didn't see it as I was on the road but I smelled lot's of wood smoke on the way home late last night.

We are back to late winter temps and I have been buring every other day. The first of April I was going 4 days between fires.

Hunderliggur said:
I think tax forms make good fire starter!

Lucky for me, I put your name on my form as the paid-preparer :lol:

im still chugging havent lost the fire since nov ,gonna watch the weather the next couple weeks and maybe let her burn out she s been purrin sweat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could stop burning but looks like another fire tommorrow . Sounds like a feeze again tonight . Summer so close yet so far away :grrr:

I made the mistake of giving the boiler a good cleaning a couple weeks ago, what was I thinking? Broke down last night and fired it back up, didn't want to use the backup elec. boiler. Will have to get the vacuum out in a few weeks and clean it out again. Next year I'm not even going to think about cleaning till after May 1st.

You might as well leave it run til around May 11 or 12. Looks like the northern tier states may have a couple nice days from now until then but nothing that would make me think summer is here.

It's snowing in VT and 33F outside. I am out of good wood and cut up pallets with the chainsaw this afternoon to get a fire going. Bring on the warm temps, please!

I think we're supposed to get frost here tonight. I have been slacking on making DHW with the wood boiler lately... so the tanks were too cool (less than 100) to get much usable heat into the house on a frosty night, so we're burning as we speak. Probably won't have to fire again until Friday evening.

cheers

Piker said:
I think we're supposed to get frost here tonight. I have been slacking on making DHW with the wood boiler lately... so the tanks were too cool (less than 100) to get much usable heat into the house on a frosty night, so we're burning as we speak. Probably won't have to fire again until Friday evening.

cheers

You've got a new Froling downstairs and you've been slacking keeping the DHW up??...

Shame shame...lol....

ken999 said:
Piker said:

cheers

You've got a new Froling downstairs and you've been slacking keeping the DHW up??...

Shame shame...lol....

I know I know... it's a very pitiful situation... :)

In other unrelated news, the surge supressor I installed on the froling seemed to do it's job the other day when the power line down the road took a direct lightning strike. (thank goodness) Some of our other electronic equipment in the house didn't fair so well though... printer and phones all fried. TV and Froling OK... life's good!!

cheers

Piker said:
ken999 said:
Piker said:

cheers

Shame shame...lol....

In other unrelated news, the surge supressor I installed on the froling seemed to do it's job the other day when the power line down the road took a direct lightning strike. (thank goodness) Some of our other electronic equipment in the house didn't fair so well though... printer and phones all fried. TV and Froling OK... life's good!!

cheers

Hmm--now that you mention it, given the investment/ effort involved in one of these good grade boilers, I am glad that I have a pair of ground rods and a very long ground conductor down below the ground water table, combined with an industrial-grade lightning impulse suppressor- an ounce of prevention...

http://www.iceradioproducts.com/impulse2.html#6

still burning once a day, 4 inch of snow yesterday

Wish I was. It is a little cool inside tonight but it will be in the 70's tomorrow and the 80's for the weekend. The broiler chicks are in a brooder in the boiler shed so I don't really want to start the boiler.

Piker said:
ken999 said:
Piker said:

cheers

Shame shame...lol....

cheers

Piker, be aware that each time a suppressor takes a hit, it's ability and performance is degraded. I have a customer at the end of a road (power line stops in his yard) who learned about that the hard way. He would fry everything in his house at least once a year until he installed pro grade suppressors on his valuable equipment (Viessmann and multiple computers) Things were fine for a couple years and then it all smoked again. Being an electronics nut, he did a bunch of research on the merits of surge suppressors and found out; A. there huge differences in protection offered by some of the better grade products and , B. they all degrade with each "hit".
We had a highly informative and interesting discussion on "The Wall" at heating help . com regarding that topic. I'm sure you could find it in the archives there.

heaterman said:
Piker said:
ken999 said:
Piker said:

cheers

Shame shame...lol....

cheers

Piker, be aware that each time a suppressor takes a hit, it's ability and performance is degraded. I have a customer at the end of a road (power line stops in his yard) who learned about that the hard way. He would fry everything in his house at least once a year until he installed pro grade suppressors on his valuable equipment (Viessmann and multiple computers) Things were fine for a couple years and then it all smoked again. Being an electronics nut, he did a bunch of research on the merits of surge suppressors and found out; A. there huge differences in protection offered by some of the better grade products and , B. they all degrade with each "hit".
We had a highly informative and interesting discussion on "The Wall" at heating help . com regarding that topic. I'm sure you could find it in the archives there.

I had this same discussion with the guys at the Hite company here in town... for sure, surge supressors degrade their ability to absorb with each hit. I have been contemplating upgrading to a better unit... or perhaps just replacing this one now with another like it. Problem is, the instructions for this surge supressor don't tell you how much protetection you can lose before the green indicator light goes out...

cheers

Prevailing wisdom is to just replace them every 2-3 years. If the equipment being protected is of enough value to warrant a good grade suppressor it's not worth taking a chance on.

im going to shut down tues or wed when ever the coal burns out going to be 40 here this weekend at night

Snowing here right now. 2 of my 4 kids still burning. Lows in the mid 20's for the next three nights. Doesn't look good for my flower garden ............

heaterman said:
Snowing here right now. 2 of my 4 kids still burning. Lows in the mid 20's for the next three nights. Doesn't look good for my flower garden ............

Same problem here!

I burn twice a week for hot water. Starting to worry about bringing wood in during the summer because of bugs. I usually keep a supply in the basement but I think I'll just cart it in as needed till the winter.

Frost the other day, 35 °F here Sunday morning, supposed to be in the 20's tonight. With the wind, we decided to pull all the plants out of the greenhouse, and now I have the heat running in the garage slab to keep the plants toasty. Looks like it'll be Tuesday b4 they get any sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.