Anybody talk to Doug, MR. Warm lately?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
What's the deal with Okanagan this year? seems like many shops are not carrying them or there a few years old, no forget NE Fence those are the piss batch for real!

South shore wood pellets seemed to have had them but not now, I don't care about the price just want to get another Ton

Home and hearth in hampton not carrying them either, they had said they were not going to charge there customers the price they were asking for them.

2 things I think have reduced the supplies this season. The bagging plant is down getting upgrades(Should be close if not already running) and the other is not as many tons will shipped due to logistics costs. Not to mention some dealers were scared off due to the higher prices, so they passed on carrying them.

To help fill the gap, They are bringing in 2 other brands. Platinum Fires and now Black Hills. I am sure he'll drop someone a line to post for you.

Local dealer is selling Okies for $330 a ton, aren't they just wood pellets? Best pellet I have ever burned are Spruce Pointe, at $5 a bag.

In the mills defense(not just Doug-all mills work in volume). The mills sell the product to the dealer network. All in the stream try to make as much as possible(its called business). They do not set the end prices. Dealers set the end price to make their profits. I know for a fact the more the dealers buy, The better the price break they get. Small volume dealers will not be able to get the same price as high volume dealers(say squire lumber for instance) who sell very large quantities. Its called volume discount. Not just in the pellet world either!

Not to mention, If I were a pellet dealer and I had a topshelf product(not just okies). I would try to get all I could out of them in the region I was selling my goods. Profit margin is what keeps them in business. I can promise you that if you or I tried to sell pellets a truckload at a time, We could not compete with the high volume sales of a pellet dealer ordering 100,000 tons at a time. Same reason the mom and pop stores struggle to compete with the Lowes/HD/Walmart chains!

Gee, I wonder who that would be? ;)

I might have ticked him off? I haven't heard banana's from him in a month. He has much higher contacts than lil ol' me. Some of the dealers that chime in here are much better sources of info, By the time I get it, chit is lost and BS fused into the mix!

Reactions: smoke show
Same reason the mom and pop stores struggle to compete with the Lowes/HD/Walmart chains!

We're seeing thst here in Maine right now. SIB is a pellet dealer that has been mentioned on here many times. He sells MWP blend for $219/delivered, and sold a lot of pellets the last 2 years. This year, HD and TSC are both selling Premium Wood Pellets made by MWP for $197/ton. The per bag price is $3.94. With my military discount, I can get the for $178/ton, so I'm buying all my pellets there. I'm sure others are doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.