Anybody tried the "new" Maine Woods - Athens pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad they changed the bags, Now there is no mix up with the older(less quality) batches. I am hoping to pick some up in the fall. I will toss in my 2 cents once I try them. Please post what you all think once you burn them. Have a good summer all!

fired up today with the new MWP, don't see any change in burning from last year, still lots of sparks which means lots of ash for my fire box. all of the ash in the picture is just from the few min. I have been burning.

Attachments

• MWP.jpg
    MWP.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 392
rowerwet said:
fired up today with the new MWP, don't see any change in burning from last year, still lots of sparks which means lots of ash for my fire box. all of the ash in the picture is just from the few min. I have been burning.
and here is NEWP to compare

Attachments

• rsz_newp.jpg
    rsz_newp.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 313
I have not seen any bags that look like that come thru... all the ones I have seen from the new batch have a little log cabin scene on them in color.

rowerwet said:
rowerwet said:
sorry, i see a different burnpot configuration= pics aint the same

~*~vvv~*~ said:
rowerwet said:
rowerwet said:
Look again

summit said:
I have not seen any bags that look like that come thru... all the ones I have seen from the new batch have a little log cabin scene on them in color.
We did test burn the newer pellets last April. (Before we ordered 4 tons)
They were in the white/black bags.
Not sure why they used them and for how long.
The 4 tons we ordered are in the white bags with the green State of Maine on it. (original design)
The bags are the same as the first year but the pellets are not!
Burning very well! Fluffy dark ash very similar to NEWP that we burned last year.
At this rate we should be able to go through a ton before the ash pan is full.

firewarrior820 said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
rowerwet said:
rowerwet said:
Look again
whats the non diff?

the angle is slightly different as the sun was washing out the pic with the NEWP so I had to keep changing the angle until it took. it is the same otherwise, though there are more pellets in the burn pot with the MWP shot I think.

lessoil said:
rowerwet said:
lessoil said:
rowerwet said:
here are the pics. I guess they should be PWP not MWP from now on.
Those look like the 2 bags I burned as a test. (I threw the bags out!!)
As stated before, to me they burned as well or better than New England Pellets out of N.H.
great so the extra money I spent on 3 tons of NEWP $245 instead of just getting 6 tons of MWP $219 may have been a waste!

I did ask, before I paid for the 4 tons, that I wanted the 4 tons to be the same quality/mix as the 2 bags I tried.
The dealer said that they were. This dealer is in Jay and said he would deliver to a fairly wide radius.
$245 is still lower than what we paid last year $270 or the year before that $314!!
If the NEWP burn better than MWP then you are all set. We burned NEWP this past Winter and were very pleased.

I'm loving the Maine Woods this year. How are you making out? what do you think? I have 1 ton of the Cleanfire pellets which are the NEWP bagged in green and i'm not too impressed for the money especially. You?

Status
Not open for further replies.