Anybody use a carbide chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Want to know if a carbide chain will get more life between being sharpened?

If you dont hit any rocks and/or hardened wire/nails you'll get great mileage from them. I looked into them,very pricey - $200+ each. I cut & mill too much salvaged stuff to take the risk. Plus the main thing - I'm too cheap! ;-)

Thistle said:
If you dont hit any rocks and/or hardened wire/nails you'll get great mileage from them. I looked into them,very pricey - $200+ each. I cut & mill too much salvaged stuff to take the risk. Plus the main thing - I'm too cheap! ;-)

I'm to cheap also. I was cutting a tree today that was on the ground already and had a piece of metal in the tree and before I realized it there were sparks everywhere...chain didn't break but it is shot now...just think i need to learn how to sharpen the chain instead of paying to have it done

RORY12553 said:

Definitely long life for me. But, I cut standing trees, jack them up, and buck them right away. A lot of logs never touch the ground between limbs and the timber jack. Little chance for chert, sand, and dirt to get into the bark.

I thought my dealer said $40.00 for a new carbide chain for my little geezer start Stihl. And $15.00 to sharpen. A new Stihl steel chain costs $16.00 with tax and he sharpens those for $5.00. But I may have not heard the new price on carbide chain correctly. So far, carbide is the way to go in my mind, but I only cut three cords a year and don't force things. YMMV

jimbom said:
RORY12553 said:

Definitely long life for me. But, I cut standing trees, jack them up, and buck them right away. A lot of logs never touch the ground between limbs and the timber jack. Little chance for chert, sand, and dirt to get into the bark.

I thought my dealer said $40.00 for a new carbide chain for my little geezer start Stihl. And $15.00 to sharpen. A new Stihl steel chain costs $16.00 with tax and he sharpens those for $5.00. But I may have not heard the new price on carbide chain correctly. So far, carbide is the way to go in my mind, but I only cut three cords a year and don't force things. YMMV

Stihl's new PICCO Duro chains are much less $$ than previous carbide chains. I'd give one a whirl if I had a saw to run it. Traditional 3/8" Carbide chains are still very pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.