Anybody use a Kozi Shop Heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
I'm thinking about adding a stove to my shop. I have a radiant gas tube heater and it's very good... if I keep the t-stat set on low (maybe 50F) when I'm out of the shop my gas bill is about $100.00/month. I usually turn it up to 2 or 3 which is around 72F when I'm working out there.

But I heat only 1100 sq. ft. one side of the shop, about 400 sq. ft where I have my lift, is unheated. If I put a pellet stove in the unheated area, and use the radiant heat for the main shop, I think I could keep pretty toasty in there.

I looked at the Kozi shop heaters before... seems to be a fairly straight forward stove... no frills... but a nice big hopper (I had an old girlfriend with a big hopper but's that's another story for another time!).

Anywho... has anybody ever used a Kozi shop heater and what's your experience with 'em.

I have used one for the past 2 years. I live in a older 1900 sq ft, 2 story house which had no insulation in it and bad windows. The stove really could not keep up. I had to run it on high ( 5) 24/7....These stoves ( atleast mine) is very picky on the pellets. If you have dirty pellets, for get it. You need the higher quality pellet.
This coming year will be the determine factor if I should keep this stove or not. I am in the process of insulating my living room and dining room where the stove is. So I am hoping with the added insulation, the new windows, I will not have to run the stove on max.
IF your garage is tight, then you should not have any problems...

chrisasst said:
So I am hoping with the added insulation, the new windows, I will not have to run the stove on max.....

And you also have some GREAT Cubex pellets too. We have our fingers crossed for you this winter!

My shop is pretty well insulated... the Kozi is rated at 40K btu's... should be enough. But I WILL have to insulate the ceiling in the lift area...no biggie.

They are not too common here in the Northeast. I have worked on a few. Cleaned a few. Not too impressed with the quality to be honest. Very similar to the Breckwell Big E, PelPro 120 (cheap Charlie) or the Englander 25-PUF....though the Englander can put out the BTU's. I do not think they make it anymore.

Look around used, these type of home/ shop heaters do not have much resale value and can be found all over they place.

smwilliamson said:
They are not too common here in the Northeast. I have worked on a few. Cleaned a few. Not too impressed with the quality to be honest. Very similar to the Breckwell Big E, PelPro 120 (cheap Charlie) or the Englander 25-PUF....though the Englander can put out the BTU's. I do not think they make it anymore.

Look around used, these type of home/ shop heaters do not have much resale value and can be found all over they place.

X2 I also dislike the fact they run the combustion blower full out even on the low speeds. Breckwell does the same thing. Hard to get good low fire burns with just the damper adjustment and if you plan to run High/Low setting the damper has to be adjusted or you might loose the fire on low. Fire goes out so you have to comp with a lower damper setting on high. This hurts the high fire and makes a rich condition(less damper).

But if you don't mind a tinkering stove and only plan on a fixed heat setting. They do run OK. Like SMW says not the highest quality stove out there. But if your on a budget, It could be the fit for you. There are lots a used ones out there. A member here just picked up an Enviro mini for less than $500 and all it needed was a good cleaning!

we've sold a few. They are good for what they are. The sheet metal work could be thicker in spots, but as long as you understand it ain't no cadillac, you'll be fine. 120lb hopper is nice, throws a respectable amount of heat. burn some good pellets, and clean out the pot every couple days, and you'll be fine.

I guess I'm not looking for something that I have to mess with to get it to work properly... no patience for adjusting damper settings, etc. My St. Croix had three knobs ( including me).... that's complex enough for me.

I don't want to buy something as complicated as my Droid phone... the biggest POS I've ever owned...

I've had a Kozi 120 shop heater for two seasons. It is definitely a tinker stove but once you find a setting and a brand of pellets that it likes, it works well. Mine is very particular about pellet brand. It will only burn Marth hardwood pellets, everything else we tried plugged up the burn pot in a matter of hours. It also needs frequent cleaning, sometimes daily in the middle of a cold snap. Ash buildup in the ash pan and burn pot was heavy at times.

Its not something I would leave running for more than a day without being home to monitor it.

Weeds said:
I've had a Kozi 120 shop heater for two seasons. It is definitely a tinker stove but once you find a setting and a brand of pellets that it likes, it works well. Mine is very particular about pellet brand. It will only burn Marth hardwood pellets, everything else we tried plugged up the burn pot in a matter of hours. It also needs frequent cleaning, sometimes daily in the middle of a cold snap. Ash buildup in the ash pan and burn pot was heavy at times.

Its not something I would leave running for more than a day without being home to monitor it.
Earth Sense has 'em on sale right now for $1499.00 ... seems they are closing out their Kozi's (maybe just this model).

I would imagine you do have an ash problem with the Marth pellets...especially of you are using the hardwood variety... way too much ash for me to mess with.

Status
Not open for further replies.