Anybody using a stove thermometer on a Travis insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushfire

Burning Hunk
Nov 19, 2005
Kennett Square, PA
I'm wondering if anybody has been using a stove thermometer on a Travis (I have a Fireplace Xtrodinair Large Flush Hybrid Fyre insert) insert to help with optimizing burn temperature with respect to the efficiency of the installed cat. I see that the manual for this years model shows a combuster temperature probe is included to monitor the temperature of the cat to be sure it's working efficiently. I'm wondering if I can either get one from the manufacturer or use a stove top thermometer to get a proxy reading so I don't have to lie on the floor to see the cat glowing.

Anybody else doing something similar to monitor the temp of their stove and relate that to cat temp and efficiency?

I'm wondering if anybody has been using a stove thermometer on a Travis (I have a Fireplace Xtrodinair Large Flush Hybrid Fyre insert) insert to help with optimizing burn temperature with respect to the efficiency of the installed cat. I see that the manual for this years model shows a combuster temperature probe is included to monitor the temperature of the cat to be sure it's working efficiently. I'm wondering if I can either get one from the manufacturer or use a stove top thermometer to get a proxy reading so I don't have to lie on the floor to see the cat glowing.

Anybody else doing something similar to monitor the temp of their stove and relate that to cat temp and efficiency?

I have the same issue. I bought a magnetic stove top thermo but I have no where to place it. I tried on the front top of the door and see the difference between that and the stove top but it varies too much. I also bought a IR thermo but that is a hassle because I have to shoot it between the vents and not see the temp anytime I want. I guess I could take off the surround and place the magentic thermo on the stovetop that way. It might work.

Reactions: Eclipse2380
I should add...I read that a lot of people with inserts have the same problem.

I should add...I read that a lot of people with inserts have the same problem.

For $20 I guess I'll get a regular stove top thermometer, take off the surround and place it as far onto the stove top as possible and still be able to see it. It'll take some time getting used to figuring out what temp I need to see there that corresponds to a glowing cat, but at least I won't have to get down on my hands and knees to peek up at the cat.

I did find this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/-Fahrenheit-c...1-fkmr1&keywords=digital+catalytic+temp+probe

But I'm reluctant to have to pull the stove out to install it.

For $20 I guess I'll get a regular stove top thermometer, take off the surround and place it as far onto the stove top as possible and still be able to see it. It'll take some time getting used to figuring out what temp I need to see there that corresponds to a glowing cat, but at least I won't have to get down on my hands and knees to peek up at the cat.

I did find this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/-Fahrenheit-c...1-fkmr1&keywords=digital+catalytic+temp+probe

But I'm reluctant to have to pull the stove out to install it.

I was thinking about getting a cat thermometer but I haven't decided yet. In regard to the stove top thermometer, I am going to take off the surround and place it around the middle of the insert and see what readings I get. From my IR gun, I see stove top temps around 450-650, measured from the middle of the stove, when the cat is glowing. I figured if I get the magnetic one in that spot where I could see it should be good and wouldn't need a cat thermometer. Sometimes the cat glows and sometimes it does not.

Is it normal for the cat to not always glow? I never thought about that.

Make sure the probe port is downstream of the cat a few inches to get the best readings, some inserts only have a front port which I have found does not work with digital probes. The condar gets so so reviews, the thermocouples only last for a season if your lucky. You would be better off building one from Auber that always stays on and plugs into 110v.

Status
Not open for further replies.