Anybody want to provide feedback on this installation quote ... ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want it installed free, they gotta make a living too. I paid an established dealer a little more than that and 7 years later I'm glad I did. There's a lot to be said for piece of mind. Or you can go and cheap out on a few dollars and go with a half azz stove installation.

What do you want it installed free, they gotta make a living too. I paid an established dealer a little more than that and 7 years later I'm glad I did. There's a lot to be said for piece of mind. Or you can go and cheap out on a few dollars and go with a half azz stove installation.

I believe the OP was simply looking for advice on whether or not the estimate was honest.

Yes, you are correct claydogg.

Double wall, for sure.

What about rafters, how close can the flue be to rafters when passing through the attic?

Class A chimney pipe needs to be at least 2" away from any and all combustibles. There also will need to be an attic insulation shield installed on the attic side above the support box.

It's great to have a forum like this where people "in the know" can share and help out. In a garage I might attempt my own install, but when it came to my house, I gladly paid an installer to do it for me. About $5,000 for the stove (Jotul F55), outside air kit, and 26 feet of stainless steel chimney. Your quote doesn't sound too far off by comparison.

On a shorter length pipe install like this would it be better to step down in Dia just to pick up Velocity?? Creating a stronger draft?? or is my thinking backwards, again :)

The quote is within reason. But still expensive. Stove Price and Parts Price are reasonable. The 1000$ for labor... not so much IMO. I would think 400-600 in labor for that job is more reasonable but still are you going to debate 500$ when the only other good option available is to do it yourself?

To some the 500 is more then worth not doing it oneself while to others it is a deal breaker enough so to encourage them to do it themselves.

The only other option is not DIY. It would be worth checking to see if there are CSIA or NSCG certified sweeps in that area that are qualified to do the installation. If so, no harm getting a quote with the particulars.

Reactions: claydogg84
@iluvjazznjava - Yes, I very much agree that it's wonderful to have this forum. I really appreciate all the input.

I'll ask about an attic insulation shield and roof bracing for the flue. So exciting to actually be moving forward with this project!

I live in a high COL area and the labor portion of my install was like 750. I have a tri level ranch and the double wall pipe had to just go through the attic. I did need an expensive t connector in the attic to allow a straight run in thru living toom.

I did need an expensive t connector in the attic to allow a straight run in thru living toom.
What do you mean a t in the attic? Can you elaborate a bit that doesnt sound right at all

Status
Not open for further replies.