Anybodyy ever get hold of that crazy Finland splitting ax?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
We had da thread running last year about an offset splitting acxe from europe. the price was very steep so I don't know if anyone ever got a chance to tryi it out.

I know that a couple of members did try it out and give some opinions. Try a search for lever axe and see what you come up with. As I remember it wasn't that impressive.

It subjectively looks too light and with too much surface area, which appears to be confirmed by the reports. Maybe if one makes a plug that goes into the end of the handle of depleted uranium it would make up for the weight issue... Now where can one find the depleted uranium ? One of the safer areas would be at the european target areas for the A10's. I certainly won't be going looking for it with a geiger counter and metal detector in iraq....

I had one for a while. One of the guys over at arboristsite got a demo to pass around. I was not impressed, and attributed its failings to the fact I was splitting hardwood. Well, a couple other guys tried it and were able to figure out the technique to make it work on relatively straight-grained hardwoods. I'd be interested to try it again, with an eye towards trying to figure out how to get it to work for the stuff I cut and split, since I believe the folks who were satisfied with it aren't BSing about its ability to get the job done.

Anyway, its a moot point now, since the new splitter with a 4-way can outsplit the leveraxe any day of the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.