Anyone able to ID the type of wood these scrounged planks are?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruserious2008

Jan 24, 2011
NH
Got this pile in the first pic (about 1/2 cord worth) from a new neighbor. The story behind these boards is they came from some huge pallets/skids that the prior owner arranged into a poor mans deck by just lying them on the ground. Worked for him for about 5 years but the decking started to rot and the new owner wanted to get rid of them and put in a proper deck.
So being the nice neighbor I am I told him to stack them in my yard and I'd burn them. I can usually tell with pallet wood if it is hard wood or pine simply by weight but these things got me stumped. They feel too heavy for pine and too light for oak. Can anyone tell from the grain or knots what the wood type is? Might use them to make a wood shed/air raid shelter:)
Thanks
wood3.jpg
wood1.jpg
wood2.jpg

looks like they have some writting on them... maybe find one that says the wood name? :p
I found douglas fir pallets are tricky! feel heavy like a hardwood, but don't look quite like pine...
and burn awful :]

Good idea Hass- here's a pic of the lettering. It says Pope and Talbot-S and under that KD HT and some other symbols. Means nothing to me but perhaps someone will make sense of it? Update on the update- googled all that and Pope and Talbot was a mill in British columbia and the KD HT means Kiln Dried Heat Treated so probably no clues as too wood type???
wood4.jpg

Cedar?

Do they seem heavy for their length?

Anyway - stick a piece of furring strip between the stacks, it'll allow better air movement and dry better.

EDIT - You posted the pic while I was replying; the "KD HT" = Kiln Dried; Heat Treated. Can't help much more than that.

Looks like run of the mill Doug fir to me.

Dieselhead said:
Looks like run of the mill Doug fir to me.

+2 Probably heavy form soaking water up from laying on the ground.

ruserious2008 said:
... Pope and Talbot was a mill in British columbia and the KD HT means Kiln Dried Heat Treated so probably no clues as too wood type???.
A B.C. mill sure would point to softwood and Doug Fir most likely. I couldn't tell Fir from Spruce to safe my life tho.

Eh, can't be too much help really, sorry!
I def still think it's douglas fir though.
common softwood used in pallets.
I used to often mistake it for a hardwood because it doesn't feel like pine at all.
try burning some! if it burns fast and sparks all over like poopoo, is duggie :p

Thanks guys and gals- I'll dry this stuff out and try some on my outdoor fireplace this summer and if nothing else I'll cut it up for kindling and/or use the table saw to cut it into short pieces and attach a few of them with my nail gun like I do other pallet pieces to make my RUserious-O-logs for some quick heat:)

Status
Not open for further replies.