Anyone actually buy into the closed-circuit chimney monitoring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
I see a lot of the install places that now offer the chimney losed-circuit video surveillance along with sweeps and inspections etc. Does anyone actually buy in to this stuff? I imagine the closed circuit is DAMN expensive, and seems to me it would just be yet another thing to cool the smoke and collect creosote... Just more companies making a living off peoples' fear?

We had at least one person on the forum in past that purchased the wireless camera/receiver combo from an ebay bid, and did just that. He hooked it up to his TV so that he could flip to the "smoke stack" channel anytime he wanted to check performance. Pretty cool idea. He said he bought the camera for small bucks.

Well, that makes sense. If someone wants to do it as a DIY with parts that they get for cheap, more power to them. What I DON'T like is when the companies push products like that on people saying "if you don't buy this this and this, you will burn your house down with a chimney fire", at incredibly inflated prices.

karri0n said:
I see a lot of the install places that now offer the chimney losed-circuit video surveillance along with sweeps and inspections etc. Does anyone actually buy in to this stuff? I imagine the closed circuit is DAMN expensive, and seems to me it would just be yet another thing to cool the smoke and collect creosote... Just more companies making a living off peoples' fear?

Cool dude ! It is what is needed for this wood stove along with:

1. The IR
2. M²
3. 66 Ton Terminator Splitter
4. D/S ( Dicer/cum Splicer) 40" 90cc Tracked Chainsaw
5. USB Stove Port : monitoring secondary air temperature
6. iPOD Probe for timing the loading ( wood )
7. A Dude

What else is missing ....Dude ?

%-P

downeast said:
karri0n said:

1. The IR
2. M²
7. A Dude

%-P

Don't forget the "self leveling, over/under, laser sighted, bubble damper" :cheese:

Camera:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-Mini-Wired-Pinhole-Color-CCTV-Camera-w-Audio_W0QQitemZ370125139306QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370125139306&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1234|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wired-mini-mountain-bike-motobike-camera-CCTV-spy-cam_W0QQitemZ280290237128QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item280290237128&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1234|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:2|294:50

and several of these leds
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=441-1009-ND

Monitor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Display-Miniature-3-0-ColorTFT-Monitor-Black-A36_W0QQitemZ370118327378QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370118327378&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1234|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

some thought, a lot of duct tape and you have a redneck inspection system.

Aaron

What most of them are selling is a service where the camera is passed down the chimney to look for missing mortar between flue tiles and cracked tiles. It isn't outrageously expensive in most cases and pretty much the only way you can be sure that a clay tiled chimney is in good shape from top to bottom.

Real time chimney monitoring during burns? Uhm yeah, I need that like I need blinker fluid for my car.

BrotherBart said:
What most of them are selling is a service where the camera is passed down the chimney to look for missing mortar between flue tiles and cracked tiles. It isn't outrageously expensive in most cases and pretty much the only way you can be sure that a clay tiled chimney is in good shape from top to bottom.

Sounds to me B², like a flue colonoscopy.......no ?

LEES WOOD-CO said:
downeast said:
karri0n said:

1. The IR
2. M²
7. A Dude

%-P

Don't forget the "self leveling, over/under, laser sighted, bubble damper" :cheese:

Where can I get one of those? I have to have one. I have the "self leveling, over/under laser sighted damper, but the bubble would make all the difference in the world.

Mike

Where can I get this USB wood monitor? Does it require software? Does it run on Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.