Anyone actually running a us stove forester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
I'm 2 steps away from buying but wanted some owners to chime in. Conserned with cleaning, noise, quality etc

My concern with that particular stove was that it had what looked like a thin flimsy sheet steel heat exchanger. I`d check that out real good if I were you before making the purchase. It`s an attractive model otherwise.

Greybeard said:
I'm 2 steps away from buying but wanted some owners to chime in. Conserned with cleaning, noise, quality etc

Greybeard, do a "search" on this forum using the stove name & model number (US Stove Forester), and you'll see at least 3 or 4 threads about it. Most people had concerns with the somewhat flimsy construction. You get what you pay for.

I'm sure its not as well built as a Harman or Quad but its only going to be used a few hours a day. The parts refered to as heat exchangers are merely grilles. The actual exchanger is on the back of the firebox. Air comes in on the bottom travels up the back and out the top. While this method isn't as efficient as others the price reflects the 75% instead of 85%. The burn pot is reportedly cheap too but their $75 new. Finding this stove for $800 new is quite appealing, but the runner up for me is the Bosca Spirit 500 at $1500. This stove is much better built but what about parts in 10 years. Its a Chiliean company in South America. Ussc has been around for a 100 years. Gotta do something in 5 days or less....tax credit, and retire the 1993 Waterford Emerald!

OK, It looks like you are leaning heavily towards this stove. If you are handy and mechanically inclined it could work out fine for you should any problems arise. However I`d first want to be assured of the availability of factory support for both service and parts prior to the purchase.
Good luck and keep us posted . It`s kinda new and there`s not a whole lot of user feedback on it yet.

Bought a used Quadra fire Santa fe today instead. Knowone sells the Forester locally for me to put eyes on, Costco has them for $899 shipped but theres not enough info on this site yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.