Anyone add a shutoff timer to their stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlstech

Jan 16, 2015
OR
I've been thinking about adding a shutoff timer to my stove so I can chose to delay the shut down. This is mostly because to keep it running for an hour or two after I go to bed. My house is a little chilly in the mornings if I shut it off before bed but it's way too hot if I leave it running. I was thinking that maybe having it run for about two hour longer might fix it.

The only issue is I'm not sure what to use. I need it to have an always on feature to run normally and then a timer feature. I can either replace my stove switch or just wire it in series to it. I was thinking bathroom fan timer but that might look kinda ghetto and big. Any other ideas on what I can use for a timer switch?

Use a programmable thermostat.

What make and model stove? I too live in Oregon, out west of Portland.

I dont know enough about a programmable thermostat to say anything there. But if you can research it, it may be just the ticket. But do not use a lamp timer or anything that cuts the input power. It has to be hitched into your shut down circuit somehow.

If you could put your stove make and model in your signature, it would sure help.

Yes it will be tied to the switch. I know I can't just chop power from the stove. It's a late 80s Avalon 900. I know how to wire it, just wasn't sure what to use.

As stated above. A programmable thermostat will work perfectly. I hooked my Whit to a fairly inexpensive 7 day programmable Honeywell Tstat this year and could not be happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.