Anyone build wooden model ships???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
My son was fascinated by the "Tall Ships" that came to our city this fall. The Niagara is one of them that makes birth here. He showed a strong interest in them and when I asked him if he would like to build a model together..........well "YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY CAN WE CAN WE CAN WE!!!!!!!"

He is 6 and I have good carpentry kills so I thought for xmas why not. So I'm looking for an entry to mid level ship to build. Nothing big for the first one or expensive. I need a name of a good model making company that you get quality parts from. I would like to get 2, one for him and one for me and do a side by side build.

Thanks,
Charlie

I've done the google thing. I don't know which companies are realiable. I've purchased other kits to find horrible instructions and worse quality parts. Every model shop around here has closed or only deals in RC. Just wanted some opinions from obsessed wood gatherer's becase if you care that much about your wood, it transfers to the rest of your hobbies.

(this is cool... a topic I actually know something about...)

Have you tried WoodeBoat magazine (www.woodenboat.com)? Anything they offer from their store will be top notch. Mostly you'll find models of smaller dinghies, but they do have some larger boats (though I don't think there's anything quite like a full-fledged "tall ship" in their line up). The most recent issue of the magazine (Sept-Oct, 2010) has an article about building a radio control boat from plans. This may not be what you have in mind, but I think there were resources or contacts listed that might help. Also, I think their web site has a forum that might have model discussion section.

Good luck!
TresK3

Cool, Thanks

I bought my son a bow today for xmas(nothing fancy being his first, a re-curve). I would like to start building these myself, thanks again.

Here's a source for a very large number of wooden kits: http:www.modelexpo-online.com. In general, the American kits from Midwest and Model Shipways will have much better materials and, especially, instructions than the European ones. Blue Jacket Ships (http:www.bluejacketinc.com) in Maine also has high quality wooden kits some of which would be very suitable for a beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.