Anyone burn Aliantus ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
It's been giving me good heat.What about you ?

I burned a bunch a few years ago in my OWB. It was light, easy to work up, easy to split, but not alot of heat as its a very light(low btu) wood. That said it did the job in what was a very mild winter as best I remember.

Ailanthus is a vile invasive weed around here. Wants to take over the world, seems like.
Wood is very low density, with large pith chamber at the core, and the whole tree stinks.
I only process it for burning if I don't need the storage space for something more like
fuel-wood, like balsa.
Once they get established at all in a given area, serious herbicide is required to remove.

CTYank said:
Ailanthus is a vile invasive weed around here. Wants to take over the world, seems like.
Wood is very low density, with large pith chamber at the core, and the whole tree stinks.
I only process it for burning if I don't need the storage space for something more like
fuel-wood, like balsa.
Once they get established at all in a given area, serious herbicide is required to remove.
Ya I've heard your quote many times before..However I was surprized how well it has heated my space during this shoulder season.I'll be looking to take a cord or two every year along with my usual hardwoods.I find it burns real hot.

F-ing nasty stuff. I removed 2 very large & 1 medium size of those eyesores from my yard in March 2000. Sure it was easy to split & dried fast,but it also burned very fast & left more ashes than anything I've ever burned.Looks like White Ash in grain pattern,color & size of pores,but is much lighter weight.Plus the leaves,flowers & smaller twigs really stink.That's the only wood I'll never drag home or burn again.Took 5 yrs of chopping & mowing every summer before the various sprouts finally died out completely.

Drop 'em and leave 'em lay. Worst. Tree. Ever.

Burns hot and fast like White Pine. Weak, nasty, invasive suckers. Good for shoulder wood I suppose.

I burned it before and find it has many similarities to poplar with roughly 75% of the burn time. The bark of the wood tends to retain moisture more than other woods like birch so ideally the wood should be split or it will take more time to season properly if kept in round form. It also has the least pleasant odor of the woods when burned.

It does burn very hot when it is properly seasoned but the fire is short lived and the wood does not coal well. It is acceptable short duration shoulder season wood or to mix in as a starter aid.

My opinion is it is the kind of wood that would really require a major work or travel concession to accept it given how light it is when ready to burn.

Any dry wood will burn & make heat, but unless that crap is delivered, c/s/s & I'm paid for disposal no thank you. Good chipper material though. Dang dangerous trees to cut as well. Usually hollow weak & barber chair danger. Plus it stinks. Oh yea, did I mention it will burn? A C

There's another thread on this forum called "Poplar is OK" that is actually from a guy burning Ailanthus.

Status
Not open for further replies.